1986 MERCURY ELECTRIC 25 TILLER INTERMITTENT SPARK

harv3366

Recruit
I AM GETTING ONLY INTERMITTENT SPARK TO BOTTOM CYCLINDER AND NONE AT ALL TO TOP CYLINDER. I'M CHECKING THE SPARK BY PUTTING A SCREWDRIVER INTO THE PLUG WIRE AND HOLDING IT CLOSE TO THE TIP OF EACH PLUG WHILE TURNING THE MOTOR OVER. IS THAT AN OK WAY TO CHECK IT? IS THERE A BETTER WAY? I'VE OHMED THE KILL SWITCH AND IT WORKS SO AM CONVINCED THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM. MOTOR WAS STARTING AND RUNNING FINE DAY BEFORE AND HAS ALWAYS DONE SO FOR THE YEAR I'VE HAD IT. NOT SURE WHERE TO GO FROM HERE. THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Switch the wires from the cd unit to the coils.----See if spark now moves to the top cylinder.

harv3366

Recruit
thanks for your reply. not sure what the cd unit is but I'm getting no spark at all now to either cylinder. I pulled the foot and replaced the water pump impellor last week. it started and ran fine moments before I did that. got all back together and now nothing. coincidence? it sure makes you wonder. though not sure how that would have caused the issue I have now. checked all the wiring to make sure nothing has come loose. a few months ago I was motoring across lake and motor died and i killed the battery trying to restart. got home and charged battery and next day fired right up. at the time I was thinking fuel/carb problem but after this am thinking I may have misdiagnosed it. has started and ran great until now. motor is used every couple of weeks. any opinion is appreciated. thanks