Tilt pin issues on my merc 80

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone until recently I have been used to the luxury of power trim - that is until I upgrade my i6 90 to a 5 year newer lower hour i4 80 which does not have power trim. A few times
When I have finished driving her I've put her in neutral but she refuse to tilt will maybe move 10mm or something so I have given up.
I got her tilted at the weekend and went out tonight however it doesn't seem to lock in - going forward is fine but reverse it jumps and even stalls. Is there an lever or something to lock to the pin? Cheers

dwco5051

Commander
Without knowing the exact year of the motor I can only give you a general answer. Yes there should be a reverse lock mechanism. Usually it is a cam in the lower end that pushs a rod up and down that will either engage or disengage the reserve lock hooks. Look for the hooks above the tilt pin and see if you see a linkage rod to the lower end. Have someone work the shift lever back and forth and see if the rod moves. It might need adjusted, something may be bent or missing or the reverse lock cam may be missing or inproperly installed. Once you get the gist of what it is supposed to do it usually isn't too hard to find the problem.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Not sure of your model year, but on my old Merc, the motor is locked in reverse and neutral. You can only lift/tilt the motor in forward.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, A lot of Mercs needed to be in forward to release the tilt lock. What years are the two motors? Maybe you can move the PTT to the new motor?

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ones a brown band with ptt and the other is grey black band without

Cheers

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, you could look up the serial numbers to get the year's of the motors. Then look up the PTT units and see if they are the same......

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok hoping it's my fault on this - but... I put it in forward tilted the outboard up then left a day or two then had a new prop I wanted to put on... So put in neutral changed the prop and put the ob down , but put it down in neutral. Drove it fine until I reversed then the ob swung up In the air and banged into the transom :-/ is it because I didn't lower it in forward? Or something else?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You should be able to do that. Check the locking mechanism for proper movement and proper adjustment. Maybe when you dropped it down in neutral, it never locked in?

emckelvy

Commander
When the motor was tilted down in Neutral, the lockout hook could not properly engage the tilt pin. Ends up resting on the outside of the lockout hooks instead of the hooks wrapping themselves down into the pin.

So, when you went to reverse, the motor kicked up. The solution is to always tilt the motor up (or down) with the controls in Forward.

The way I do this is when coming into the ramp, leave it idling in Fwd then turn the key off to glide in. If you're at a dock, just turn the motor off and shift to Fwd before rasing the motor.

HTH...........ed