2005 Mercury 50 hp 4 stroke

fredmeyer

Cadet
I have a 2005 Mercury 50 hp 4 stroke. I have just bought the boat and have used it about twice a week at least. Love the boat and the motor. Went out on Sunday and motor ran fine. motored out the marina and headed out and was up on plane for a short time and the motor died. pump the bulb and back in business. just a few minutes died again. Its definitely not getting enough gas. Got home took the water fuel separator filter off drained it and the ran the motor at home . seem to run fine. Ran it out to the lake this afternoon seemed to run fine planed up and went for awhile. Shut it off and when I went to come back in it ran for awhile and then died. I did notice when running it at home the fuel filter that hangs on the engine isn't full of fuel its about a quarter full when running. I've order a new fuel filter and water fuel separator filter. I'm new to these new 4 stroke outboards Am I missing something here?

Expidia

Commander
One thing is to check the vent on the tank and make sure its fully open. I've left mine closed several times years ago and it did what you are describing each time. I don't close mine anymore at all except for winter storage. It sloshes around when the boat is underway or trailering anyway, but doesn't splash out.

Also check the hose at each end and to the bulb for air leaks and lastly the bulb itself. Hose and bulb are a minimum 9 years old and could even be much older depending if its the original or the last owner put a used one on.

Last edited:

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From time to time my 2005 60 hp 4-stroke Merc will just lose power and go to idle or shut off. I can squeeze the primer bulb in the gas line and she starts back up and runs fine. After much troubleshooting I determined my problem is the connector for the gas line to the engine. It's a bad fit, it works slightly loose and the engine starts sucking air. I replaced the entire gas line, bulb, and connector. I still had the problem. Now I put a thin layer of grease on the connector and snap it in. That seems to work fine for about 4 months and then I have to grease and reattach it again. My theory is that the engine is made here in the U.S or Mexico and the connectors are made in China. Poor fit. Try a little grease.