200 hp merc not running well

thadd

Cadet
Ok I have been fighting this merc for a while now. its a 2002 merc 200 hp carbed xr6 V6 engine. It was fine one day then the next it wouldn't rev over 1200 rpm loaded in the water. I have tested and cleaned the whole fuel system. Then ran all the tests on the ignition system that all passed. the only thing I found out of wack was the bias voltage was low when tested so I replaced the TPM but no help. If you disconnect the 4 pin connector it will rev and run ok but not right. I have linked and synced it checked all the timing. every once in awhile it will rev and get on plane but then next time it wont. compression is good and even. it just sounds sick. like its in a constant state of bog. I checked for misfire and double spark but couldn't find any. All the CDMs check out ok.I had another marine tech go out with me on the lake and double checked everything and he couldn't find anything wrong other than it just didn't run well. I am leaning towards the trigger even though it tests ok. Anything else I should check??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Mark the flywheel for TDC for each cylinder.-----Then run motor out on the lake and monitor spark as you go to full throttle.--Test each cylinder.

thadd

Cadet
It ran fine one day and the the next it just wouldn't rev and sounds sick.

Dukedog

Captain
But there is......Its what makes tha whole thing run. Might be referred to simply as "control module"....Not tha same as ECM/ECU on efi's.............

They don't make a 200 XR 6 . They did one in tha 90's but was badged "NITRO". Was a promotional thing with Nitro boat packages.......Never got chance ta see "inside" one (porting) so it may/may not have been a true 200 block!

Last edited:

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ohm your trigger and stator, then dva your stator, and test your switch box(s) and if you have glued in magnets on your flywheel check for loose ones, if that all checks make sure your fuel flow and is correct along with making sure there is not a stuck float and lack of fuel, take your plugs out and tape off your sparkplug wire and turn it over and have some one else watch and make sure a mist of fuel puffs out each cylinder... maybe that helps

thadd

Cadet
I replaced the tcm because the bias voltage was low. There is no ecm or control boxes on this only cdm modules. They test fine.

thadd

Cadet
I ohmed out the stator and trigger. They are all within specs. Dva voltage output also passed. I removed the flywheel and checked the magnets they all seem perfect.

Dukedog

Captain
Is this what your callin' tha "tcm"?

857185T1

It controls justa 'bout everything related ta make it run.

Last edited:

thadd

Cadet
I replaced the fuel filter. Checked the fuel pump for a blown diaphragm. And rebuilt the carbs. It seems to be an ignition issue.

thadd

Cadet
Sorry TPM timing protect module. The ignition run modules are built into the 6 cdm coil units. They test fine

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Firing order??? even so I'd bet the high speed side of the stator is out...

thadd

Cadet
Sorry TPM timing protect module. The ignition run modules are built into the 6 cdm coil units. They test fine.

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
high side of stator going out but not failing would explain your intermittency. what size motor 2.5 or 3.0 ???

Dukedog

Captain
We are talkin' 'bout same thing. Just never heard or seen it referenced as that with a few more functions other than timing............Was tha replacement new?

Last edited: