Changed impeller now no reverse? help!

Hi guys i changed the impeller on a brown band mercury 50hp, when i put the lower unit back on the controls will not go into reverse, even when the lower unit is off, and when i go to start it, it will only start when in forward gear, if anyone could help me with this i'd be really appreciative, cheers.

Franzel311

Seaman
When you hooked up the shifter rod it must have been out of whack take the locking pin bolt out from where the rod connects to the linkage and loosen up the lower unit and let it slip down 2 inches look at where the linkage is and what Position it's in the if the controle is in neutral make sure the unit is in neutral as well b4 u slide it back up into place some motors it's easer to have the control in fwd or reverse to access the linkage when u put the shift rod to it...it's very touchy a lot of times you can have the unit in fwd or what eve and the last couple inches u slide the unit up it pops outa or into gear and when u bolt it up it's outa wak on my Merck found it easer to have the control in fwd put the unit in fwd by hand and keep alil pressure on the prop that will keep the unit in gear and if u need to spin the splines on the shaft it's in gear already