Yamaha prop

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a friend who has a prop from a Yamaha motor. It is the same size and pitch and number of splines as the one on my old 100 hp Merc. Will it work on my motor? It looks like new and he said he only ran it for a few hrs on his 115hp Yamaha. Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The factors that need to match exactly are hub size, number of splines and diameter of prop shaft. The depth of the splines can sometimes be adapted. For example, the Merc will have splines the entire length of the prop hub. Johnnyrudes have splines about 1/2 the length of the prop hub. To adapt a Merc Prop to run on a Johnny, you need to drill out about 1/2 the splines (from the rear), and create a thrust washer that has the right thickness and matches the contour of the propshaft. In your case, it will take some experimenting to get it to work.

So check depth of splines, diameter of hub, diameter of prop shaft. If those match, see if you can create a thrust washer, likely by adapting a Merc or Yammy one, and you will need some spacer on top of the prop, and some way to secure the prop nut.

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like more trouble than what it's worth. I thought I had read on here somewhere that some of the Merc's and Yamaha's would interchange and that is why I asked. Thanks for the response and info.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, Merc and Yamaha props are interchangeable. But as mentioned above, check the depth to make sure your washer's thickness will be adequate to tighten the prop on the shaft.