1972 glastron v16.3 with 1972 mercury 140hp l6

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a problem, no matter how I trim the motor up and at any speed I can't get the front of the boat to porpoise, any other boat I have had and been in we always trimmed the motor up to have the nose bounce then trim down to settle for best run. the outboard is a 20" shaft, I have moved the motor up one inch and as much as two inches, I get more speed but I can't get the nose up. the boat will do 50mph with out the nose up or boat trimmed out, If any one can help I would greatly appreciate there imput as I am out of ideas. thanks Buz

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Porposing to me is basically thrust amount/angle vs hull speed where the the thrust angle vs speed is at the "hull resonance" for that combination. You can change either and move off the hull resonance point thus terminating the oscillations. The "resonance point" is a smorgasboard of things associated with the boat including hull characteristics, load and load balance, hull to water condition relationship and on and on,.

Raising the engine can get the Anti Vent plate out of the "thrust angle" part of the equation which makes it (thrust) much less predominant. If the leading edge is in the water it acts like a scoop so now you have a scoop and thrust to consider. Jacking the engine up can move the scoop out of the picture and you only have engine thrust which is not as pronounced as the scoop and thrust. I proved this to myself years ago and it's a fact. Before jacking my engine, trim position had significant impact on planing angle of the boat. For a given speed I could set the bow where I wanted it. After raising my engine I got the AV plate out of the water and trim had much less impact on hull angle.

Many times I have been through the resonance while getting up to cruising speed or coming down off it. If I want to stop it at the speed where it occurs and run at that speed for awhile, I have to change the thrust (vector). So a little trim down till it quits and that's that.

So in my estimation you have not reached your resonance point and since you have a variety of thrust and thrust vectors at your disposal (throttle and trim) I'd have to blame it on the boat. Usually that's bad as people ask for help as to how to get it to quit.

Going to say if you have a deep V hull with significant dead rise at the transom it would be much harder to reach resonance that would be the case with a semi V with no dead rise aft.

HTH,
Mark