Foot Problem

tacg

Cadet
Ok what i have is a 1981 procraft 17 footer bass boat with a 200 hp mercury power trim v6 model number 5967577. i got a week ago when i went to check this boat out it everything seemed like it was doing good. I got ready to take it out this weekend and we hooked it up to the muffs to make sure that everything was working right and it wasnt it would not go into gear and then i noticed the water pump was not putting out. then the alarm came on so i shut it down . Water pump is no problem to replace the thing that has me wondering is the not going into gear. i have dropped the foot to check the water impeller. What do i need to check and what to look for. if i switch it into gear right now it makes a little grinding noise when i turn propellor

tacg

Cadet
ok i went ahead and started removing the pump housing to see how bad the impeller was as i removed the cover i saw the impeller was turned on the shaft and the key was not lined up making it hard to remove the impeller so i tried to pry it off and the drive shaft came out to i have never had this happen and wonder could this be the cause for it not going into gear

tacg

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
  • shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
  • photo209666.jpg
    photo209666.jpg
  • shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg

Dukedog

Captain
Sorry for bad news but tha gear case may not be worth fixin'. Tha pinion has sheared off. Drive shaft and at very minimum pinion is junk. Probably more damage inside (gears, bearings, seals etc.) Its an old pre-load type gear case. Can't remember exactly when they went away but thinkin' '84/'85........Any 2.0, 2.4, 2.5 gear case from '76 ta last year of tha 2.5's tha same length will work. It should be a 1.87 ta one gear....... jmo

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Time to take the gearcase apart for an inspection.----Does sound expensive.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would think that SEI makes a new replacement gearcase. It should be under $1K US.

tacg

Cadet
well i took it to local boat shop yesterday they still haven't had a chance to look at it however they did tell me that the spline that went into the pinion is broke off they are gonna try to get to it today to let me know if anything else is messed up

tacg

Cadet
ok little up date they finally got to my foot last week. After tearing into it the only damage they found was the drive shaft everything else besides the water pump looked new. they ordered new drive shaft and water pump assembly and i am now back up and running gonna take out on the lake this weekend and see how it goes gonna be chilly but oh well lol. They say that more than likely the previous owner or maybe me had shifted it from forward to reverse or vise versa b4 the prop had slowed down. this boat has a very large stainless prop on it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I doubt any kind of rough shifting would cause the pinion gear to shear the driveshaft. I would have thought your pinion bearing seized. I would keep her near the launch for a while, when you test it, just in case the mechanic is wrong.

tacg

Cadet
took out on the lake last weekend boat ran and handled awesome extremely fast wife and son had a blast was great to be back out on the water.