1977 850 85hp Mercury Outboard Power Tilt

connemb

Recruit
I grew up with my family owning a boat and recently got my first boat. I found a good 1977 Glastron along with a 1977 85hp mercury outboard. The boat does need a lot of cosmetic attention and I can't wait to start the project. The engine runs like a champ for it's age and was well taken care of. However it does not have power tilt/trim and only has the old assist lift cylinders on it.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have seen the CMC aftermarket power lift, but do not care to much for it. I came across another thread on this site saying that for an old 50hp mercury the user should look for a "type 1" power lift/trim. I have searched around, but can't seem to find anything or really know what I should be looking for.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The original PTT for that motor consisted of two hydraulic trim cylinders, two trim brackets, a trim pump/reservoir that mounts in the boat, 4 hydraulic trim hoses and a wiring harness and PTT control panel. These PTT units were installed on IL4 and IL 6 Mercs from the early 70s to the early 80s when a new PTT unit was introduced.

connemb

Recruit
Would it be out of the question and or to expensive to find something like that to work?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have heard they are expensive. I can tell you from experience that those PTT systems are a PIA, but better than not having them. What part of the country are you located?