1967 100hp merc

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Went to look at a very clean 1970 17' Starcraft Riviera today. After looking it over the owner said if we could hook it to my truck, we could pull it out of the garage put the muffs on it and start it up. Long story short it would start but not keep running. About 30 frustrating minutes later the owner said well if you will take it like it is you can have the, boat, trailer and motor for $500. After regaining my composure I said, "Well I guess I can take a chance on it for that".
What it seemed to be doing was firing and running while the key was in the start position but as soon as it was released it would die like it was loosing power or spark. I initially thought switch problems but then remembered that with an outboard it is never as simple as you initially think it will be. My question is "What are everyone's thoughts or ideas"? I will probably mess with the key switch tomorrow and see what I find. Also, the switch is on the dash and not in the control box.
This is a great site and resource and I thank each of you for your help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Start with the key wiring. The wires on the older Mercury motors are crap. No other way to describe the cheap wires used. Be very careful since they will crack the covering very easy.

Get a manual and start from scratch troubleshooting.

Fuel lines, carbs, compression and spark. That is a distributor motor and MANY parts are NLA so be very careful.

Did you happen to ask when the last time the boat was actually used? Registered? (hint- old gas)

You might have allot of work ahead but for $500 Boat motor and trailer...... you did good

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Current registration, expires end of November, and he said they had it out 6 times this summer with the end of July being the last time. No smell of old gas. I had a person tell me it was the trigger but I don't know what that is. Thanks for your thoughts and help.

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And the drive shaft carbon steel? What does that mean? Are you saying that could be part of the starting problem?

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found out the motor is a 1965 not 67. In looking at the parts breakdown I don't think it has a trigger in the distributor. Any other suggestions?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it has the 2 coils then it will have 2 sets of points in the distributor.--Split the distributor and clean / set those points.---New points are a bit spendy.-----Best to check condition of driveshaft as an original can be rusty and that leads to challenges in keeping water out of the gear oil.

Mi duckdown

Commander
Sorry. just commenting about carbon steel drive shafts. they get pitted/rusted at the impeller seal. and Many/Most need to be repaired. Just a heads UP. Sorry for the confusion

mr 88

Commander
Might want to try Inline 6 Mercury outboard motor fans on Face B if no one here can help you.

utfyrfytr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, sorry I have not been on here in a few days and didn't realize there were posts I hadn't responded to. I got the motor running, it was the key switch and I couldn't be happier. I am getting ready to replace the impeller and will check the drive shaft at that time. Thanks for the input and ideas.