2002 XR6 150 Problems

R Dolph

Cadet
I have a 1982 Wellcraft with a 2002 150 XR6. The boat has been very reliable until yesterday afternoon. While cruising at about 4100RPM my motor slowly lost RPM's and shut it self off. It sounded like the motor was experienced heavy load and could not overcome the resistance. When in Neutral, the prop spins freely. Both batteries are fully charged. Oil and Fuel are new.

When I go to crank the motor, the starter engages, bendix gear moves into position but cannot turn the flywheel. When I take the flywheel cover off and use a rag to turn over then engine, I can only rotate it about 45 degrees before a hard stop.

NO Alarms went off,
Engine was "Peeing"

I am very concerned the motor somehow locked itself up.

Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated & thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Randy

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, It doesn't sound good. Lull the plugs and look inside. Then pull the heads off and see how bad the cylinder that got damaged got hit.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might want to drop the gearcase, and see if the flywheel will then rotate. Maybe you got lucky and only the gearcase got damaged.

R Dolph

Cadet
Thanks Chris,

Are you possibly implying that the oil delivery system failed?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Either the motor locked up or the lower unit locked up. Dont know enough yet to say or to say why it might have happened.

R Dolph

Cadet
The motor had oil delivery failure. No alarm went off. This will be the last mercury I own. Anyone have any advice what to do with the motor? It was a perfectly good motor ruined by a poorly engineered component.

R Dolph

Cadet
The reserve oil reservoir was dry. When I pulled the plugs. one was burned up with metal all over it. I could rotate the flywheel about 340 degrees before a hard metal stop.

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pull the head cover on that cylinder bank, you are going to find your piston is destroyed, the cylinder wall is most likely gauged up, other cylinders may be damaged as well. If you rebuild it, make sure you just remove the oil injection and go with premix.

Dukedog

Captain
A complete oil failure usually does a lot of internal damage. It would need ta be taken apart ta know just how much.

Curious? Were you getting a short series of "beeps" whenever tha key is first turned on? Think like three?