1993 Mariner 135 V6 scrap or worth fixing?

fastback44

Cadet
I just bought this 1993 King Fisher fish and ski combo the boat is in good shape but the motor has problems its 2 stroke 135 hp. the guy who had it ran it hot when the water pump went out it melted the wires, the guy tried to rewire it and finally gave up. and its been sitting in storage for the last 5 to 7 years. I check the compression and all the cylinders are at 90 psi except one which is 0. Now my question is for you guys that know about these things is it worth trying to rebuild it? I know it needs these things, water pump, new starter,the tilt and trim motor isn't working and the one cylinder thats bad.

Last edited:

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Part it out. If it were running great last week and it threw a piston. Then yeah, maybe rebuild and keep using. But its been sitting for 7 years, no way. Its just not worth the risk in my opinion. If the lower unit is in good condition, you can get 400-600 for it. You can part the motor out and get at least 300 bucks, up to maybe 1000 if you want to take your time and sell a bunch on ebay.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, it depends if you can do the repair work yourself, and if you are inclined to do so. You will need to repair the water pump, clean the carbs, replace the wiring, bore the bad cylinder and install a new oversize piston and rings. I cannot comment on the other parts you may need (starter, thermostats, poppit rebuild etc.). You might price out the parts and see if it makes sense. You should be able to get a running engine of about that vintage for the low $1000s.

Just so you know, a compression reading of 5 cylinders of 90 PSI on that motor, indicates an inaccurate (but reliable) compression gauge. Likely the 5 cylinders would read 120 PSI on an accurate gauge, which is a good reading.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Might cost you $1200-$1500 to rebuild if you are doing the assembly work. Thats on a bad day. Most of the actual work involved in rebuilding ANYTHING is the machine work and someone else would do that. 2 cycle motors are very simple engines and arent that difficult to work on .

Can you buy a new motor for $1500? Can you buy a good tight used motor for $1500? I can't.

fastback44

Cadet
I have looked at buying a whole used outboard and they ain't cheap haven't found anything running for less than 2500. And like someone said a 2 stroke is a lot easier to rebuild the top end, I've rebuilt top ends on some Yamaha Banshee and Blaster 2 stroke four wheelers and it was easy. Hoping it's like that with this outboard. I've got all winter to work on it.
If I decide to go that route I'm sure this forum will come in handy with FAQ's.

I found this one on CL and it sounds like a good deal except when you find out that the place selling it is also a place that deals in used outboards and if they can't fix it it must have serious problems.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/bod/4620246622.html

Last edited:

fastback44

Cadet
Update: Took the head off and took some pics, what ya'll think? Only the one cylinder has scratches on the wall.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unless you are a trained tech with a donor motorfor parts, it's landfill. For what you will have to shell out for parts and labour, you can find a newer, running outboard.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Unless you are a trained tech with a donor motorfor parts, it's landfill. For what you will have to shell out for parts and labour, you can find a newer, running outboard.

Simpler than a lawn mower.

Lets run down the costs. Worst case scenario. ALL holes needing a bore THEY DON"T but lets do that anyway.

$400 to bore and hone all six holes.
Vertex pistons . Theres MUCH cheaper pistons out there but I like vertex. $450 a set . Includes rings BTW
$175 for a set of gaskets if you pay full retail
Bearings $250 high retail for all the bearings

That is under $1400 for a rebuilt V6 with you doing SIMPLE assembly. There is no valve train or cam timing or anything else that might seem like difficult assembly work.Go ahead. SPLURGE. Buy another $500 full retail worth of all new electronics. Not that there was anything wrong with the old stuff but be thorough for the hell of it. Still under $2k for a fully rebuilt power head. If you get bored you could shop around and easily knock 40% off all of those prices.If you get even cheaper and and bored'er you could just pick up a set of rings and bore the one cylinder that needs it and save even more. None of this sh!t is rocket science.

Last edited:

fastback44

Cadet
Update; I found a few other problems with this Mariner, trim motor was burnt to a crisp, starter fried, water pump toast, so I kept looking on Craigslist for the right deal on a motor and I found a 1994 Johnson 120 hp 2 stroke. Runs great everything works only problem is some accessories in the dash don't work. MY old controls had wires coming off going to the dash but the Johnson controls don't. anyhow I think I'll try and sell parts of the Mariner 135 on Ebay any ideas which parts would sell?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
You should be able to get $200-$300 the crankshaft. More if your'e lucky. same crank used in most all normal 2.5's and they dont grow on trees. Heads are great for HP motors with the smaller chambers but dont expect much on ebay. Rods $200 for the set. The electronics and stator/flyweel you might get $200 for.$4-500 for the lower. the mid section itself maybe $75 The block is still good but $200 is top end for a small bore fat block that needs a bore job. Those carbs, the tuner and front end arent worth the metal they are made out of. You'd be better off parting it on scream and fly though. ebays rates kill good deals for the seller.

Last edited: