1979 90hp Inline 6 reverse shifting issue

samander

Cadet
Hello, I am having some issues with shifting to reverse with my inline. Basically, in the water it seems to be having trouble engaging. The shifter moves into position but just results in grinding. It does slowly reverse but obviously don't do it unless I absolutely have to. No problems in forward. In neutral I can sometimes hear a constant click, but if I wiggle the shifter it stops. Does this sound like a linkage adjustment? If so how is this adjusted? Really don't want to run the boat like this! I did change the impeller last season, but can't recall 100% if the issue was happening before. Any help would be appreciated!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like an adjustment issue. When in neutral, the shift slider should be in the middle of it's travel. It sounds like your shift slider is more toward the rear of it's travel. Have you had the gearcase off recently?

samander

Cadet
Hope thats the case. I did have it off for a water pump rebuild last year. To. be honest I don't remember if the issue started before this or after. Could this have put something out of adjustment?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Removal of the gearcase can easily allow mis alignment of the shift rods. Drop the gearcase. Set the throttle to neutral. It should be centered in the shift slide travel. Now set the gearcase to neutral and reassemble.

domarcelin

Recruit
I'm having the same issue with a 72 650 thunderbolt. I just got the boat and had it out a few times with no issue. The last two times out I noticed when putting her in reverse I get a nice rev up, but no shifting. The only way I can get reverse to engage is to slam it back from N to full reverse, I don't think is a good idea to continue. As far as having the lower unit off, the guy I bought the boat from said he had a local boat yard replace the impellor about a year ago and it has been sitting since. Don't know if I trust him or not, but I also don't know if I should be tearing into the lower unit if it is just some sort of a linkage problem. Any thoughts? Forward works fine by the way, no issues there or in neutral.

Mi duckdown

Commander
Domar start you own post. don't hijack. it just makes confusion to the original poster

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
@samander Did you figure out what your problem was? I am having a similar issues after changing control cables and shifter.

Last edited:

samander

Cadet
Hey Guys, sorry for the no response. Ended up being the shifter cables/rods being misaligned. Works like a charm.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
samander thats good you fixed it. I fixed mines also, i needed to readjust the shift cable at the motor end. also i replace parts in my shift shaft assembly.