2 questions I need help on..............

red423

Cadet
I have a 1982 200 black max, it is a family heirloom. Changing the motor is not an option. Too much sentimentality attached to entire boat. I keep wondering about upgrading the charging system, but no matter how hard I search, I can't find a whole lot of info on doing it. or where it's been done. I finally found the trim hose I need, and a smart way to lube the throttle cables instead of replacement. But, I have a two battery set up, I charge the batteries before we go out, and if I don't run a half open throttle the charging indicator only shows between the red and the green, wot will give me after a run, an in the green needle. I have checked the rectifier output several times and it reads 13 volts, I am wondering if an upgrade would be better????
Another issue, jack plate hydraulic system, I have an original jack plate, it is single cylinder, with the pump located on the side of the plate, the boat sat in storage for a number of years before we got it and the jack plate will creep down on it's own, I know it may be a bad check valve, would draining it and using fresh oil maybe clear it out??? thanks for your help red423

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
You have a 9 amp system. You can swap a 16 amp system over very easily . You could also swap a 40 amp system over without much work. Flywheel, stator, voltage regulator(s). I'd use one of the 40 amp late model regulators no matter which system you use unless you go with a full 40 amp system in which case you want two of them. Theyre cheap and reliable.

I'd try pulling the jackplate apart and cleaning the valves and refilling the fluid.

My boat is one of those sentimental specials too. I know how it is.

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
Its possible its already a 16. Does it have regulator? Its 'bout 2 inches square mounted on top of tha block between tha heads......

Only option is tha 16 unless he goes with different ('89 0r newer) cowl. Tha big flywheel and cover won't let tha clam shell's close.......

red423

Cadet
Thank you for answering. Yes I have a 2" square regulator on top with rubber mounts. (one stud broke and just the stud was 16.00 here). would that be a 16amp??
When the charging needle isn't in the green as in long no wake zones, is the engine draining the batteries?? Or am i reading this all wrong and the red/green battery indicator is showing charging status only??? I will try flushing that jack plate after we purge the steering system. I'll post a pic next time she's in the water. thanks again red423

red423

Cadet
Ok according to parts diagram I have a 15 amp system, w/regulator. ok so why does it seem to only put my battery indicator in the green only when running 1/2 wot for a period of time???? what am I missing??? I have a perko switch, dual 650 cranking amp deep cycles, and still it takes a five minute run to get that needle in the green. Is this normal????????

Dukedog

Captain
Yes, it is. This "charging" system was plenty good for many years. Then along came all tha acc's and 'lectronics (mainly efi stuff) that needed "more"...... Know lotsa folks that do away with regulator completely on 16 amp stuff. With good batt. maintance and "something electric" almost always on they say its an improvement with batt. life.. I don't use a reg on my "hot rod" stuff but for different reason.......jmo