Force 40 HP By Mercury leaking water at the mid section

VaHotshot

Cadet
I recently purchased a 97 Bass Tracker with a Force 40 HP By Mercury. I changed the impeller and when I put the ears on and test ran it I noticed a stream of water coming out at the midsection where the plastic piece meets the metal that the lower unit attaches to. I would appreciate some advice as to what is causing this issue or is it normal? Also if there is an issue, is it okay to put the boat in the water and run it? It hasn't been in the water yet. :mad-new:

Last edited:

bgathy402

Cadet
My guess is the hose to water squirter sprung a leak and now instead of all the water flowing out of the nipple some leaks down through the cover.

VaHotshot

Cadet
Fatzbullet, If the base gasket is leaking, is it safe to put on the water. One other thing, The mouse ears I used will force water in from both sides. Could this create too much water pressure and force the water out?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
This could be perfectly normal, especially on muffs.

Does water come out the telltale, and out of the exhaust?

You can remove the thermostat cover and check for water flow through the powerhead.

The one bad thing that may cause this, is if the water tube is not connected to the top of the water pump.

So, to be sure it is, drop the lower unit an inch or 2 and verify the tube and pump fitting are connected.

VaHotshot

Cadet
Problem fixed. Water was coming out of the exhaust and was getting by the rubber boot around the exhaust. Re positioned the boot and problem solved. Thanks everyone for the help.