update on "77 1500 lacking power

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
I talked to a friend of mine, "Clams" Canino..though he really couldn't point out my problem (being 2.5 hrs away), he informed me that the 1500 only had 130lbs of compression due to the higher port location in the cylinder. What I did do is: remove the powerhead and completely rebuilt it. Here's where it gets interesting...I pulled the powerhead with LU in place..i went out the other day to remove LU to install the powerhead. Once I got LU off I started inspecting it..and guess what?...the LU is about locked up. Sooo, I been slowly losing power as the LU was getting tight. I change fluid not long ago...has to be a sealed failed....cause it was operating great at that time. Now I got a brand new powerhead and i'll use my spare LU.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I am having trouble believing that the gearcase was sapping your power. I would have expected the gearcase or powerhead to suffer some damage, as the gearcase started to seize. A broken driveshaft perhaps, a shattered bearing maybe.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I disagree with clams as the 1500 ports are not that radical and wont effect compression that much just a couple of psi's.The 1500 had high dome pistons that why they where in the 140ish range from factory. Also if gearcase was seizing cranking it would put a heck of draw on battery and have start issues..

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the input! I should have the motor started by tomorrow evening at this time. I pressure tested the water jacket before I built this motor, and I also pressure tested it after I got it completely assembled....I know for a fact it is sealed, so I won't have to wonder about water intrusion! I have brand new plug wires for it, so any concern of spark going to ground is eliminated. I will be using my spare LU. I will test run it at the lake next weekend. Only time will tell....BTW, I do not mind constructive criticism, I respect others thoughts/opinions...that just makes me search more for the correct answer to something!

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
And now, I've just made another discovery!...(lol, I am learning a lot as I make my way through this rebuild) ..I've been assembling my new Tiger Tail plug wires..when I installed the contact terminal on the first wire, I decided to get my electrical tester and check to see that I had continuity, and I did...I assembled 3 of my new wires and thought to myself, "go check the original wires that was on the motor, for continuity)...not ONE of these old plug wires will "ring-out"!! A big Thanks to Chris for drawing my attention to the plug wires! Since Chris mentioned about this, I been thinking, "we all know how bad the original wiring was on these motors, couple that with the high voltage ignition"...why in the world would one think that 30 year old plug wires would still be good...I really appreciate the help, gang!!!