Help Needed - 1+ year old motor cuts out when increasing the throttle

redhawk1904

Recruit
Hi All,

I am a novice when it comes to troubleshooting motors and am hoping for some help.

This is a 2005 15 HP ELH (electric start) Merc outboard that was bought brand new in 2013 from a dealership it has 20 hours or less on it since then and it is just out of the 1 year warranty.
A few weeks back I was on the lake and the motor cut out on me at full throttle. I had trouble getting it to start back up, but could get it started and idling from time to time but it would cut out after giving it some throttle. Everything being brand new I thought it might have something to do with the gas or fuel system thinking everything else should be fine. I checked the pump and filters on the tank and they were clean, I checked the gas at the fuel pump on the outboard and gas was flowing fine to that point. I think the issue is getting gas from the carb to the engine but am not 100% sure. If I pour gas directly into the carb and bypass the system the motor will start up fine and idle great. When I try to increase the throttle from there, it will go for a few seconds and then cut out. Is this pointing to clogging in the carb somewhere? Could it be something else? If anyone has an ideas on what to try next to try to diagnose the issue, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Brad

Mi duckdown

Commander
Talk to the dealer that sold it. Although somewhat out a warranty. strange he had a NEW 8 year old motor sitting around

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 9.9 that did the same thing. I MUST run fuel system cleaner in it all the time and i haven't had any problems. I was told by a tech that the carb jets are so small they get clogged real easy. Make sure you have the new fuel hoses and filters are all clean and run fuel system cleaner.