please help.. 1989 3 cylinder 50 sparking but wont fire!

slatter

Recruit
Hi guys i wonder whether any of you can help me with a really annoying problem! The engine wont fire even with easy start. There is a spark.. however its not jumping a 7/16 gap. Checked resistances but dont have a dva... mulimeter was set at 20k ohms.... blue from stator to ground 1.52 .. think that makes 1520 ohms... should be 5800 to 7000 Red from stator to ground 0.14 think that makes 140.. should be 135 - 165.. Purple white and brown on switch box from trigger to ground... all show around 15.35.. so is that 15350 ohms or 1535 ??? Should be 800 to 1400. Any help would be appreciated before engine gets scrapped! Theres fuel compression and a spark.... gut feeling os sparks not good enough. Oh its cranking well too so that shoildnt be an issue any help will be gratefully appreciated! Thanka james

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
A weak stator will cause this along with a weak battery or dragging starter.

slatter

Recruit
Im pretty sure starter and battery are ok. I really need to get a dva to test stator dont i. Do the resistances sound ok as they arent anything like book values and the resistance from trigger seems too high??

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Blue wire reading on stator is bad. Will give you weak/no spark. No need for DVA to check the output, that's only if resistance is within specs that you need to check the actual output. I would also replace the trigger while you have the flywheel off because it's out of specs too. It might still trigger the spark but can cause some weird things to happen at higher rpm's and cause misfire or cutting in and out.

slatter

Recruit
Ok thanks for that. I was just unsure because on another forum it said if the resistance was lower than it should be , in my case on red wire from stator then that should be ok. Its if the resistance is higher than it should be that it will cause problems... in my case the wire from trigger... also should i be taking the wires off of the switch box terminals before testimg or is it ok to leave them connected?

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks for that. I was just unsure because on another forum it said if the resistance was lower than it should be , in my case on red wire from stator then that should be ok. Its if the resistance is higher than it should be that it will cause problems... in my case the wire from trigger... also should i be taking the wires off of the switch box terminals before testimg or is it ok to leave them connected?

Lower than it should be isn't ok. I mean if it's like within 100 ohms or so from spec then you need to check DVA output but yours is about 4500 ohms shorted from spec. Now unless the stator has been replaced with a CDI or other brand, your coil windings are shorted. 15k ohms on your triggers???....it's a wonder it even fires at all unless your meter gave you a false reading and YES...ohm check with wires disconnected. DVA test can be done either way, better to do DVA with them hooked up tho and if not within spec, disconnect and retest to figure out what the trouble is. I would start with a stator and trigger and DVA test the results to see if your switch box took a hit as well. This is a great guide for troubleshooting. http://www.cdielectronics.com/support/ (page 80 I think for your setup) and another thing they suggest is to disconnect rectifier to see if you gain spark. If you tested this with wires hooked up, disconnect and retest.

Adding to this: I had a trigger on my 90 merc with ohm reading 986, 1250, 1260. The DVA output on that circuit was about 2-3 volts higher than the other 2. Checked it because I was losing spark intermittently at idle on #1 cylinder. Ran it anyway (kids wanted to go tubing) and ended up with a failed trigger box with no spark on #1 cylinder. Even tho the 986 is within spec, I bet it shorted out even worse when it heated up.

Last edited:

slatter

Recruit
Ok thanks. Gonna have to make a dva as they are just not for sale in the uk