Good all-purpose prop for 1985 Champion F&S w/200hp Mercury?'

Dashunde

Cadet
It currently has a narrow blade 28 pitch 3-blade.
Its terrible out of the hole, but it pulls really hard as it planes out.
I'm not sure how fast it really is, but its way more than enough.
Although it does cruise comfortably and swiftly at 4000rpm, slowing for large waves or doing a u-turn is problematic if its allowed to fall off plane.

I'd like to have a second prop for better all around performance. I dont need it prop'd too low, just enough it doesnt cavitate much.

Any recommendations on what would work well with this engine and boat?
(And where I might find a nice used one on the cheap?)

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah a 28 pitch prop for that boat is a bit much. Youve got to be lugging it pretty bad even when it is on plane. Try a 4 blade prop in the mid 20's. A Solas Titan 4 in 23 pitch would be perfect IMHO. It will jump on plane and still go 60-70 MPH.

trumanlake

Petty Officer 2nd Class
running a 3 blade 26 on a 85 merc 200hp mounted on a champion 184 bass boat. a little slow out of the hole but performs quite well after that. its run that way for 29 years, my how time flies!

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
running a 3 blade 26 on a 85 merc 200hp mounted on a champion 184 bass boat. a little slow out of the hole but performs quite well after that. its run that way for 29 years, my how time flies!

If I could get a year out of a prop I'd be pretty happy. Blew apart a 32 pitch 4 blade chopper style prop the other day at 85 MPH when the hub stripped and it sank to the bottom. I loved that prop. Wiped out 4 props in the last 2 years on the rocks. Christmas every year means a new prop.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Hey Wired, your family have enough life insurance on you? They should probably get some more.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Wired, your family have enough life insurance on you? They should probably get some more.

They have plenty so the wife lets me go out. I have noticed she wont go out on the boat with me ....hmmmm...