Mercury 1000 Tower of Power restore?

bens68futura

Cadet
I just picked up an old Glastron Futura V-153 with a '69 100 hp Merc. The engine supposedly "ran when parked", but has been sitting for 10 years or so. When I opened it up I see that the wiring has all disintegrated so I'll be replacing a bunch. I've found a local guy that has one that blew a piston and holed the block at the beginning of this summer. He will sell me the complete engine plus another parts engine that doesn't have a lower for $150.00. Seem reasonable??

bens68futura

Cadet
thanks for the response. I just checked the compression on the original engine and it's looking pretty good - between 110 and 120 psi on all the cylinders!

Mi duckdown

Commander
Motor and parts yes. Boat?? make sure the boat sea worthy. drop your lower end and check the drive shaft to see if it rusted at water pump seal, common. carbon steel shafts. what did you pay for original boat and motor?

Last edited:

bens68futura

Cadet
I'm pretty sure the lower is ok, but I know that the other motor has a functioning unit with a new water pump (impeller). The original boat and motor I took in trade in exchange for grinding out a big cedar stump - took a bit over an hour to do... I have a stump grinding business on the side. Value of the job was about $100.00

bens68futura

Cadet
The boat seems to be in decent shape other than I'll have to replace the floor.. seats are decent, shifter / throttle works, steering unit is stuck though. I'll be pulling out the gas tank and reviving it or replacing it depending on the condition. Transom seems solid, I'll be looking closer at it before trying to put it on the water. Trailer bearings good, but the wheels look pretty rusty.

bens68futura

Cadet
It's ALIVE!!! I've finally gotten the wiring pieced together and in order and changed out the fuel lines and rebuilt the fuel pumps. Fired it up today for the first time... now to change out the water pump impeller so I can keep it running awhile and see what I've got... I'm pretty happy!! I'm hoping to have this thing in good enough shape to get my 12 y/o son out to learn to ski this summer.