Fuel line pick up problems

jpdodd

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I have great news... I had sprayed some carb cleaner on the pickup fitting a few days ago, and had some time to work on the tank today. So I decided to bite the bullet and crank on the fitting. The cleaner must have did it, because I was able to get the pick up elbow fitting off without stripping anything. Which means that I can replace things without having to make bigger holes or makeshift epoxy.

But, as I pulled the pick up tube out, I noticed that there was nothing wrong with it that I could tell. There was no screen at the bottom, and the tube looked in relatively good condition. So, I'm a little baffled as to why things weren't working. There was definitely a problem from the tank somewhere (maybe the plastic pick up tube was letting air in the eblow fitting it was connected to? Or maybe there was some obstruction at the bottom of the tank that was clogging up the tube)

Anyway, my plan is to change out the pickup tube and vent tube. I'm going to cut the pick up about 3/4 shorter so that it is not sitting on the bottom of the tank in case there is debris in there.

My question - the elbow fitting - has 3/8" NPT fittings on the bottom AND the top (male on the bottom and female on the top) Most of the replacement pick up tubes have 3/8 NPT on the bottom, but 1/4" NPT on the top. Would there be a restriction of the fuel if I changed it to the 1/4" NPT?

Engine - 120hp Tracker/Force

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally the fuel pickup would not touch the bottom of the tank. They are cut shorter, for the reason you wanted to cut yours. Some fuel pickups have a screen inside them. The outer (usually aluminum) tube would unscrew from the bottom of the elbow. Those screens can get clogged. Give the pickup the "blow test" and see if she is clear.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your motor probably requires a 5/16" fuel line and fittings. Obviously 3/8" ID fittings would work as well. 1/4" ID fittings could restrict fuel flow.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Before you begin hacking up your boat, the reason the bulb went flat is because there is a restriction between the bulb and the bottom of the dip tube in the tank which you have proven. The tube has not broken off nor does it have holes in it as that would not cause the problem. There may be a filter sock on the end of that tube which over time has become clogged with debris. Or debris may have been deposited behind the check ball in the anti-siphon valve. Try this. Remove the anti-siphon valve and blow compressed air into the tank to clear the dip tube. Now inspect the back side (threaded end) of the anti-siphon valve. Use Q-tip or other soft item to push on the check ball to see if it is free. If not. Replace it. As a final check, stop at any hardware store or the plumbing dept at any big box home store and buy a threaded hose barb the same size as the anti-siphon valve. Insert the hose barb, connect the line and give it a go. DO NOT LEAVE THAT HOSE BARB IN PLACE. Install a new or the original anti-siphon valve if it is ok.

jpdodd

Seaman Apprentice
So I just wanted to wrap things up. With much effort, I was able to install the new pick up line, and anti-siphon valve. I connected everything up, and it works great. Thanks for all of the information and help. I'm very thankful that I didn't have to cut the tank out or try to glue something as I made a new hole. The only bad thing about this whole process is that the fishing season is pretty much over, and I haven't gotten out much :( But I'll take that over the alternative...

Thanks again for the help!