90 hp mercury - stuck if forward

fishfry1

Recruit
I have a 80-81 90 hp 6 cyl that appears to be stuck in forward. I removed the gear housing. The shift shaft in the gear housing rotates approximately 180 degrees, but regardless of position, the propeller only rotates clockwise when I rotate the driveshaft (clockwise). Any suggestions?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Turn the shift shaft CCW until it meets resistance. Use a cresent wrench to gently turn it a bit more CCW until it clicks into neutral.

fishfry1

Recruit
Hi Chris,

I turned the shift shaft finger tight CCW and then added some "persuasion" with a pair of channel locks. The shaft turned slightly more, but still the prop turns clockwise when the drive shaft is turned, even when CCW pressure is maintained on the shift shaft while the drive shaft is turned. When I turn the shift shaft finger tight all the way CW, it will not turn any more, even when "persuasion" is applied. What now?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, It sounds like the shift cam inside the gearcase is damaged. It probably makes sense to look for a used gearcase, rather then repair yours. What part of the country are you locate in?

fishfry1

Recruit
Thanks for the reply!! I am located in Connecticut, but can travel to most New England states if I could find an inexpensive replacement.