Mercury Optimax 2001-2003

BluGil

Recruit
Can anybody tell me the correct procedure when starting a cold engine. One guy/mechanic says "never move the throttle from neutral or you will mess up the Throttle Position Switch on the computer, the next guy mechanic says start with throttle out of gear , give her some gas, and turn the key. Only had this boat for 13 years and still learning, I guess! Thanks

DocSmallz

Recruit
It is a funky designed fuel injected engine, but use the choke by pressing the key in while cranking. verify spark on all cylinders. and verify no plugs are fouled out. check the water separator for water.. I have started many of those engines with fast idle. its not going to send the tps out of whack its programmed to the computer...... whatever you do DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmmm..........Optis dont have a choke. You need a good battery as engine takes about 3-4 revolutions as compressor has to build up pressure for the air injectors. You should leave everything in a neutral position,pump bulb to fill VST on engine,and just turn key and crank till it starts. Then you can use the warmup level to raise rpm if it cold outside to warm engine .