1990 Mercury 25HP 2-Stroke - Reverse Hook

Fishindaddy

Recruit
I recently removed the lower unit from my 1990 Mercury 25HP 2-Stroke outboard to replace the impeller. It was definitely the first time this had been done to this motor. After re-installing the lower unit, the reverse lock hook assembly will not disengage to allow me to raise the motor. I followed the hook up into the cowl and it looks like the shift rod should go through the top hook in order for it to raise the latch when it is put into forward gear.

Is this assumption correct? Do I remove the lower unit again and when re-installing, make sure the hook goes around the rod, or is my issue something different? All the parts diagrams I have found show the hook and the shift rod/linkage on different diagrams. None showing how they go together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have already been through the remove and reinstall process three times due to forgetting washers or bushings etc.

fishsurfer

Cadet
Hey, I'm a nube here but I noticed the hook on mine when I pulled it off for the first time. There is a washer that goes over the rod at the top before you put the lower unit back on. The rod and the washer are supposed to go through the hook and lifts it when changing gears. If you can't find the washer it is probably somewhere inside the shaft from when you pulled it out.

Last edited: