Mercury Tower of Power stuck in the up position

Cesar87

Cadet
First post here hope someone can help.i have a mercury 115 hp inline 6 with dual ram t/t external motor. the trim and tilt work up and down but if i tilt all the way up
to where i can get the lock on then it wont trim back down until i open the bleed screws on one of the rams . any help greatly appreciate it

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
After you release the manual tilt lock, push the gearcase down with your hand until resistance is met. Now try the PTT system.

Cesar87

Cadet
tried pushing down it wont move,the weird thing is that if let it sit for about 2 hours the hit switch to go down it will work

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well it sounds like the control valve is not working right. You should have to lift that motor up higher than max power trim to set the manual lock. Likewise, when you release the manual lock, the motor should go down 6 inches or so. How about if you do not use the manual tilt lock? You don't really need it if you have PTT.

Cesar87

Cadet
I will try to stop before running the whole tilt cycle maybe i can just pull the motor up by hand and set the lock in place

Alumarine

Captain
Like Chris says, you really don't need the lock. The cylinders will hold it up.

14.4volts

Cadet
isn't there a limiter switch on in/out, I have the same unit and mine (like said above) will not trim up far enough to engage the lock, I have to manually lift it for that.
I know I don't have too lock it but always do, Id rather lock it and be safe!
When I installed my used setup I found the installation manual here on Iboats.
Here is the link for that PT
https://picasaweb.google.com/Smig06/PTTManuals#

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There is a trim limit switch, but not a tilt limit switch. The trim limit switches usually break anyway, so we usually bypass them.

I always found the best way to trailer the boat is to put the tilt 1/2 way up. The even weight of the motor keeps it from bouncing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, it likely broke, and the PO bypassed. The remnants are likely still in the starboard PTT Bracket.

14.4volts

Cadet
are you using the manual revese lock at all?
Have you bled the cylinders? that system is supposed to be self bleeding, there are instructions in the link above to bleed cylinders and pump.
it should stop its self once its fully up, the manual in that link says 1/2' before height for lock tab.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
PTT motors do not use a manual reverse lock. That should be removed. In addition, the PT pump is self bleeding, but the cylinders are not quite self bleeding.

Cesar87

Cadet
already bled the cylinders but maybe i didnt do it right After i let it sit for about 15 mins the motor will go down

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The cylinders dropping are probably not do to inadequate bleeding. Likely one of the Teflon piston seals are bad.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The problem is more likey in valve body of pump as sounds like a check valve is sticking, what type of oil yuo using in pump?