Water pressure problems

RTB87

Cadet
So I believe their is stats in them.. Cause at idle it will start to **** out the port side hose then after 30-40 sec the starboard side starts pissing... As for the plate being 1 peice or 2 peice not sure.. Everything I used to do the swap with was everything that came on that motor so I would imagine it would be the right one.... All I did was bolt everything to an older style mid shaft... So do ou guys still think it has someting to do with the poppet valve....

Dukedog

Captain
Everything I used to do the swap with was everything that came on that motor so I would imagine it would be the right one.... All I did was bolt everything to an older style mid shaft... So do ou guys still think it has someting to do with the poppet valve....

There is something amiss here. Sounds like tha mid may have some changes maybe. Trim pump in tha boat? CLE came on 2.4 hi perf and first 2.5's but had one piece on bass or offshore can. Thnkin' it was one of those and just added X motor power head. Have you checked ta see f there is a poppet assy. in it?

RTB87

Cadet
I haven't checked the housing is their and bolted up but never took it apart... The older mid shaft is from a 2.5l efi still just the none alien cowling... What had happened to the original mid the previous owner hit bottom rly hard and broke the mid shaft and suprisingly the lower unit is still good...so the mid shaft that I bolted the power head to now had a blown power head water pump and copper pipe are all the same sizes I check all that before..... What's so special about 225X what does the X mean

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
225X motors have the newer smart craft capable ECU's , alternators instead of a charging stator, O ring heads, different intake plenum that pulls from the top unlike the odd way the old 225 pro max's with laser injections get their air. , electric oil injection.

Dukedog

Captain
Ok. There should be a hose attached to tha poppet cover. Its supposed ta go to a fitting at tha base of tha divider plate. If this is tha way its routed then tha poppet shoud be a REAL poppet with all tha internal parts. Even tha one piece plate version as I understand.

Tha X is completely different breed. Its a 280 "STYLE" or "DESIGN" (not same porting, sleeves or efi stuff) 2.5 steel sleeve, o-ring head, alternator, down draft efi motor that's completely electronically controlled.. They were only built 3/4 years then tha Opti's took over. Supposedly very stout, dependable motors. That's just 'bout all I can tell ya 'bout 'em. Think ya would be ahead if ya bite tha bullet and spring for tha OEM manual............I would be very "picky" 'bout who works on it......jmo

Research tha internet on it, see what ya find..........Just ths "X". Not tha "XS". Its tha Opti version.

Last edited:

RTB87

Cadet
Ok thanks I'll have to check that out on Sunday and I'll get back to you

Dukedog

Captain
Justa a thought. Tha early two hole cle at idle/low rpm may be tha problem for that motor. If ya have access ta even a stock gear case, sporty or tm just ta test would answer that question. I would still check all tha water pump parts again though.............

RTB87

Cadet
Ok I'll take a look at the original lower unite and see if their the same

RTB87

Cadet
Alright guys sorry about not posting right away but my problem was that I needed to run a newer style lower unit with the 4 holes pickup... Water pressure is awesome now no limp mode everything works the way is should thanks for the help .....