1971 mercury 110 (9.8 hp) flooding in lower cylinder

snorzz

Recruit
I am trying to get a 1971 merc 110 running. This engine has not run for 10 - 12 years. I have completely rewired the engine, cleaned and reset the points, installed a new stator and checked the timing. Removed the carb and replaced the float and needle valve, cleaned the carb and installed new gaskets. I have also replaced the water pump impeller. The engine starts easily and runs but it runs rough and smokes. Water flows strongly from the tell tale. It appears that the lower cylinder is flooding. When I remove the transfer port cover the gasket is wet with gasoline at the bottom. If I open the mixture screw 2 turns the engine dies. I can only open the screw one half to one turn for the engine to stay running. It appears at times that one cylinder is firing sporadically but the engine will run with only one plug wire connected to either the top or bottom cylinder. I've checked the float setting and the fuel line bulb pumps up hard. I have run the engine with the fuel line disconnected and the float chamber open by hand pumping fuel in the chamber as it is used up but I still have the problem. I have fresh fuel in the tank and am using a 50 to 1 fuel/oil mixture. I cannot think of anything else to try. This engine is on the verge of running great but I can't seem to solve this last problem. I would really appreciate any help I can get to solve this. Does anybody have any ideas??