MerControl and How to use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrayfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have never used this control before and am not sure but think I might know. Here is a photo and (my understanding) of how to use them.

OK the throttle is the big one and shift is the little one in the back. My guess is, start with throttle in up and to shift into forward just throttle forward. To reverse, move throttle to top, lift the back lever and pull the throttle to the back.

If that is not correct, can someone let me know?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Nope! The lever in back is the cold start/warm up lever. You raise that to create a higher idle for warm up. Raise the lever,push in on key to activate the choke,turn key to start. Then lower the lever as it warms up till its idling on its own. The big lever is just forward and reverse,with throttle of course.

murrayfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nope! The lever in back is the cold start/warm up lever. You raise that to create a higher idle for warm up. Raise the lever,push in on key to activate the choke,turn key to start. Then lower the lever as it warms up till its idling on its own. The big lever is just forward and reverse,with throttle of course.

This is on a 1973 Merc 1150, 115hp where the cables attach to the motor which one should be on top? Little black lever or the Throttle? I might have it wrong.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
the first cable that moves when you push the big lever either forward or back is the shift cable. hook that to the shift on the motor. Other cable is throttle.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
BTW, the button on top is for the choke. To start that motor the first time in a day, pump the primer up until firm. Lift cold start lever all the way. Push and hold the choke button and crank the motor, until she fires. Let up on the choke when she begins to die. After she is warm, push the cold start lever down and shift into forward, and away you go.....

cdnufo

Recruit
Great info thanks. I may have a choke problem, just got the boat March 2020. Started it April 7 but had to use the manual choke at motor 1978 model 700 70 hp. 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Control box is a MerControl with choke on top, but the rubber part of the choke button has a 1/2 inch cut in it. can not feel any pressure under the rubber button when pushed.Is there a button under the rubber part of the choke? I am assuming there is some type of electrical wiring to the electric choke at the motor. Any help or pics would be great as I am a newbie.Thanks Randy

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Great info thanks. I may have a choke problem, just got the boat March 2020. Started it April 7 but had to use the manual choke at motor 1978 model 700 70 hp. 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Control box is a MerControl with choke on top, but the rubber part of the choke button has a 1/2 inch cut in it. can not feel any pressure under the rubber button when pushed.Is there a button under the rubber part of the choke? I am assuming there is some type of electrical wiring to the electric choke at the motor. Any help or pics would be great as I am a newbie.Thanks Randy

Start your own thread. After 90 days it's too late, after 6 years, way too late.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.