New Mercury will not run

Swaight

Recruit
I just bought a new 20' Bennington pontoon and it came with a brand new 2014 60hp Mercury Bigfoot (4 stroke EFI). Yesterday was the first day out with the boat and we just could not keep it running. It started right up and idled fine at the boat launch and traveled fine on way out of the marina for about 400 yards at roughly 2,000 RPM's as soon as we got out into the lake I increased throttle to about 2500 RPM's and the motor stalled shortly after. I waited a few minutes and it started back up and ran ok at 2000 RPM's for about a minute and stalled again. I hit the primer bulb a couple times but the bulb was almost collapsed. I messed with it for a minute and got it to expand back out again. The motor started and we took off I then went up to 3000 RPM's to see what would happen and the motor stalled within about 5 seconds and the primer bulb was almost completed collapsed almost like it was sucked in. I then tried to restart immediately and it would not start. Hit the primer bulb a couple more times and waited and it ran fine at 2000 RPM's for about a minute and it stalled again. I took the gas cap off to see if it was vapor locked and got the same results. This went on all day and never did get it to run right - ended up getting a tow back in. Pretty sure the motor is not getting gas for some reason and not sure why especially with it being fuel injected. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
While you are running above 2000 rpm, have someone keep pumping the bulb. It that cures your problem you have an air leak between tank and the "lift" (vacuum) fuel pump. It could be anywhere.

Replace the fuel filter. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but it is "under the hood".

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you try to run it with the gas cap off?

Don't change anything. Call the dealer, it's a brand new boat. Let them fix it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
So, you ran it with the cap off with the same results, so it is not a venting issue.

The bulb was sucking flat, so the fuel pump is working.

But, fuel is not going up the hose to the engine.

Either the fuel tank has crud, blocking the fuel pickup, or the fuel line from the tank to the bulb has an obstruction, debris, or is crimped off somewhere.

It sucks that this had to happen on a holiday weekend, but this really is an issue for the dealer to fix.

As a temporary fix to get you through the weekend, you could use a different fuel tank and hose/bulb assembly.

Swaight

Recruit
Thanks guys - I appreciate the help. It's definitely going back to the dealer to be fixed. I was hoping it might be something simple to get me through the weekend but no dice. I did try running with gas cap off and tried pumping the bulb while the motor was running at 2000 RPM's with no luck. Again thanks for the help - I'll let the dealer worry about it!