Please help! 60hp Mercury 2002 EFI 4-stroke........Cranks and runs...then dies!

goatkeeper

Recruit
2002 Mercury 60hp EFI
Symptoms:
This problem began in 2008, until then it had caused no problems. When motor started causing problems it was after an hour or so of normal run, stop, fish, run, stop, fish...it just dropped back from a cruise speed to idle. Dad was able to putter back to landing at idle...like a new GM car goes into “limp mode” when something goes afoul. This happened several times before he just gave up on it. First thing I did was call Mercury...they said it was water pump! Right, after replacing that...it did the same thing...almost. This time instead of “limp mode” it completely died. Would not crank back up. After paddling a mile or so...we tried re-cranking and it cranked and ran the last 1/4 mile back to landing. After this...it never was the same. Dad was 80 and just got fed up...he quit fishing altogether. But now I have grandsons who love to fish and I would like to give the boat to them.

Cranks and runs, but will not continue running.
Does not matter whether running at 1500 or 4500 rpm, it may run for 2 minutes or 30 minutes, but eventually the rpm’s will begin to fluctuate by approximately 200 rpm’s. Then, in a few seconds you hear constant beeps (Guardian Mode) and it drops back to an idle.
Occasionally this idle is STEADY…MOST times it is VERY ERRATIC.
Generally when it is erratic, it will cut off and not re-crank.
When it dies from erratic idle, the beeps will continue whether it re-cranks and idles very rough (with throttle advanced) or just with key on.
When it drops back to a steady idle, it will rev back up and continue again, until the same thing happens, generally in just a few seconds.
Beeps stop when it is a steady idle. Rarely does it drop back to a steady idle!

What has been done:
Water pump changed (shop)
Fuel system cleaned and fuel lines replaced, supposedly (shop)
Regulator kit installed (Mercury dealer)
Main power relay installed (Mercury dealer)
Honestly, I can’t remember everything it was done several years ago, except the relay was recent! It has been to three independent repair shops, plus the Mercury dealer where my father purchased.
I do not know whether the Merc dealer ran a computer diagnosis or not...wish he did and I had results!
Balance performed by me:
Fuel tank cleaned
Non-ethanol fuel installed
Sea Foam fuel treatment
Both fuel filters replaced
New plugs
VST cleaned
Verified coil voltage…voltage was 10 ohms (not running)
Cleaned throttle body
Cleaned TPS and MAP sensors verified 5 ohm incoming voltage. Replaced MAP sensor because the ohms were out of spec...did not help!
Crank Position Sensor 329.2 ohms
Verified proper operation of temperature sensor, ohm’d per chart
Verified 44+ lbs. (sometimes as high as 54 lbs) of fuel pressure, even when Guardian mode cuts in! Holds 40 lbs. when off. Re-verified again today!
Verified 5 ohms on oil sensor when running, even when Guardian mode cuts in!
Verified 13-14 ohms at battery connection to motor, even when Guardian mode cuts in!
IAC 28.6 ohms, nothing from pins to metal case
Verified thermostat is operating properly.
Replaced main power relay, again.
****I have read many replies that state "if I keep pumping bulb, motor will continue to run." THIS ONE WILL NOT!!! You can pump away and it is still going to die.
****Often seems like there is a faint fuel smell when it stalls out...like it flooded or injectors keep spraying fuel, but plugs stopped firing. Hard on a car nut, when you don't know a thing about boat motors!!!
Maybe it is just me, but the motor is idling rougher than it was! Even the acceleration is rough now. Last year when I took it to the last repair shop, it would idle without skipping a beat and accelerate without hesitation...Now it need a few seconds to steady out when it is idled up and it is constantly missing at idle.

I would appreciate some serious help. I have spent enough to buy a good used motor!

wholemilk

Recruit
2002 Mercury 60hp EFI
Symptoms
:
This problem began in 2008, until then it had caused no problems. When motor started causing problems it was after an hour or so of normal run, stop, fish, run, stop, fish...it just dropped back from a cruise speed to idle. Dad was able to putter back to landing at idle...like a new GM car goes into “limp mode” when something goes afoul. This happened several times before he just gave up on it. First thing I did was call Mercury...they said it was water pump! Right, after replacing that...it did the same thing...almost. This time instead of “limp mode” it completely died. Would not crank back up. After paddling a mile or so...we tried re-cranking and it cranked and ran the last 1/4 mile back to landing. After this...it never was the same. Dad was 80 and just got fed up...he quit fishing altogether. But now I have grandsons who love to fish and I would like to give the boat to them.

Cranks and runs, but will not continue running.
Does not matter whether running at 1500 or 4500 rpm, it may run for 2 minutes or 30 minutes, but eventually the rpm’s will begin to fluctuate by approximately 200 rpm’s. Then, in a few seconds you hear constant beeps (Guardian Mode) and it drops back to an idle.
Occasionally this idle is STEADY…MOST times it is VERY ERRATIC.
Generally when it is erratic, it will cut off and not re-crank.
When it dies from erratic idle, the beeps will continue whether it re-cranks and idles very rough (with throttle advanced) or just with key on.
When it drops back to a steady idle, it will rev back up and continue again, until the same thing happens, generally in just a few seconds.
Beeps stop when it is a steady idle. Rarely does it drop back to a steady idle!

What has been done:
Water pump changed (shop)
Fuel system cleaned and fuel lines replaced, supposedly (shop)
Regulator kit installed (Mercury dealer)
Main power relay installed (Mercury dealer)
Honestly, I can’t remember everything it was done several years ago, except the relay was recent! It has been to three independent repair shops, plus the Mercury dealer where my father purchased.
I do not know whether the Merc dealer ran a computer diagnosis or not...wish he did and I had results!
Balance performed by me:
Fuel tank cleaned
Non-ethanol fuel installed
Sea Foam fuel treatment
Both fuel filters replaced
New plugs
VST cleaned
Verified coil voltage…voltage was 10 ohms (not running)
Cleaned throttle body
Cleaned TPS and MAP sensors verified 5 ohm incoming voltage. Replaced MAP sensor because the ohms were out of spec...did not help!
Crank Position Sensor 329.2 ohms
Verified proper operation of temperature sensor, ohm’d per chart
Verified 44+ lbs. (sometimes as high as 54 lbs) of fuel pressure, even when Guardian mode cuts in! Holds 40 lbs. when off. Re-verified again today!
Verified 5 ohms on oil sensor when running, even when Guardian mode cuts in!
Verified 13-14 ohms at battery connection to motor, even when Guardian mode cuts in!
IAC 28.6 ohms, nothing from pins to metal case
Verified thermostat is operating properly.
Replaced main power relay, again.
****I have read many replies that state "if I keep pumping bulb, motor will continue to run." THIS ONE WILL NOT!!! You can pump away and it is still going to die.
****Often seems like there is a faint fuel smell when it stalls out...like it flooded or injectors keep spraying fuel, but plugs stopped firing. Hard on a car nut, when you don't know a thing about boat motors!!!
Maybe it is just me, but the motor is idling rougher than it was! Even the acceleration is rough now. Last year when I took it to the last repair shop, it would idle without skipping a beat and accelerate without hesitation...Now it need a few seconds to steady out when it is idled up and it is constantly missing at idle.

I would appreciate some serious help. I have spent enough to buy a good used motor!
Ever get it figured out? Mine is driving me to drink. 2014 60hp command thrust