OH PLEASE HELP ME,1987 60HP MERC, TRIGGER PLACEMENT?

silvereagle

Cadet
I had a bad wire coming from the trigger rotted out, so I changed both stator and trigger, well guess what? no spark at all now? I think I made a mistake by not documenting the EXACT position of the STATOR? oh GOD I cant find any info on how to position it? anyone please help me.

Last edited:

silvereagle

Cadet
THE engine ran before the install, but only now and then, so does the stator position have to be exact. cant find any documentation at all on correct position.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think the stator's position has anything to do with the spark situation. I would look seriously at the switch box. There is no repairing it, and either they are good or bad. One more thing. Make sure the magnets (under the flywheel) are still attached. I have seen these things detach and seemingly disappear; thus, no spark.

For some reason, Merc's in this genre had an issue with wires rotting off the stator and trigger.

silvereagle

Cadet
THANK YOU, pulled flywheel all is good, dva readings on the red stator wire while running is all over in the readings, also on number 2 coil numbers bouncing? I am thinking either switch box or coil?

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
If you have changed out the stator and the trigger, and you still have no spark, then I would suspect the switch box....especially if there is no spark on all three cylinders. If a spark is intermittent, then I would rotate the coils and see if the spark problem follows one particular coil. I still think switch box though.