How to remove tilt trim Ram Cylinder on Mercury 200HP 1979

Status
Not open for further replies.

leblancjoel

Cadet
I need to know how to remove the rods that go through the tilt trim cylinders, both at top and bottom. I have attached photos to help. I do not want to damage the threads in these pins/rods, but how do you remove the threaded part, so that I can remove the ram cylinder. One is leaking, red fluid see photos. I have the 2 cylinder system with the motor/pump inside the boat (not mounted on the transom) It looks as though the rod goes through the whole system, from one cylinder to the next. I just need to remove one. Is there a tool that helps, or do I punch it out? Thanks. Joel

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your pictures did not come thru. On those two ram systems, the bottom part of the cylinder unscrews. You should see two holes, one on either side of the stainless steel trim rods. A spanner will unscrew that top. Those trim cylinders have an inner steel cylinder that can come out with the piston. The piston has a Teflon seal, which requires a special tool to install. I would therefore not recommend you pull the piston out of the cylinder. The trip rod should unbolt from the piston, allowing you to replace the wiper and O ring seals around the trim rods.

leblancjoel

Cadet
Hi Chris. I tried reposting those photos. Might be having trouble. If possible, could I PM you these pics? Just to be clear, I don't want to rebuild this ram cylinder. The one is leaking and needs to be replaced. I bought a replacement and will simply remove the cylinder and put in the replacement cylinder. What is a trip rod? If the photos work, you can see where there is a red fluid leak. Is that where you suggest unscrewing the bottom of the cylinder? I just don't know how to remove the pins/rods that go through both cylinders, both at the top and bottom. I hope the photos work. I would email them to you if I need to. Thanks Joel

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, Trip rod is supposed to be trim rod. Fat finger mistake. I gave the description I did, because you cannot replace the Oring in the cylinder cap, without removing the trim rod, from the cap. You do not want to remove the piston from the cylinder, so you need to unbolt the piston from the trim rod, pull the trim rod out of the cap and replace the o ring.

leblancjoel

Cadet
Hi Chris, After reading your posts, I have concluded that I think we are talking about two different ram systems. I just have a 2 ram system. The motor and pump and mounted inside the boat. For reference you can copy and paste 79114A4. That is the part number of the ram cylinder. There is a photo that I am trying to upload. Are you getting any of my photos????? I am trying to remove the shafts (which look threaded at the ends) that go through the bottom and top of my ram cylinders. Thanks for your time here. There should be photos with these posts
IMG_3058.JPG 18964.png IMG_3078.jpg IMG_3059.jpg IMG_3063.JPG IMG_3060.jpg IMG_3062.JPG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK< Pictures came thru this time. It id different than I had thought. Maybe trim cylinders unscrew from their bases, to replace the seals?

Curriden01

Recruit
Hi Chris, After reading your posts, I have concluded that I think we are talking about two different ram systems. I just have a 2 ram system. The motor and pump and mounted inside the boat. For reference you can copy and paste 79114A4. That is the part number of the ram cylinder. There is a photo that I am trying to upload. Are you getting any of my photos????? I am trying to remove the shafts (which look threaded at the ends) that go through the bottom and top of my ram cylinders. Thanks for your time here. There should be photos with these posts
View attachment 197612 View attachment 197611 View attachment 197617 View attachment 197613 View attachment 197614 View attachment 197615 View attachment 197616
Did you ever figure out how to remove the pins? I’m currently trying to replace one of these cylinders. Same system. The confusing part is that the bottom pin looks stepped. Like you wouldn’t be able to punch it out from one side. Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you ever figure out how to remove the pins? I’m currently trying to replace one of these cylinders. Same system. The confusing part is that the bottom pin looks stepped. Like you wouldn’t be able to punch it out from one side. Thanks.
Start a new thread. The OP left after his last post. Let me check the Way-Back Machine because it was 6 years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.