85 mercury 90hp tower of power... HELP

shenktastic

Recruit
I have an 85 mercury 90hp inline 6 (aka tower of power). It is not running correctly! It will run fine in the beggining, but after it warms up, or we turn it off, or put it neutral, it doesnt want to go again. It will either die, or bog down real low. I have rebuilt all three carbs, replaced fuel line, primer bulb, and fuel pump. I started thinking maybe an electrical issue and a marine mech. Insisted it was the stator. I replaced that with a brand new one. It now starts much easier and runs so smooth! However, it is still bogging down when warmed up. I took the impeller off and its pretty worn out and burnt in some places. Could this be why it boggs? Also, it does squirt out a steady stream of water when running but the water coming out is super hot! Is that normal... please help.... :-(

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

You are going to need to do a spark test and compression test.
When the motor starts acting up, do the spark test again.

Did you do a proper/complete link n sync after rebuilding the carbs?
Are you sure the carbs are not set too lean?

Telltale water NEVER gets hot on my 2 towers. Something is definitely wrong.

shenktastic

Recruit
Yes, im replacing the impeller today to see if that helps with the pee water, but im leaning towards maybe coils now, just want to make sure before i spend all that money. I do have spark in all 6 cylinder but its weak