2000 Mariner 90hp 3cyc shift issue

gmcken5

Cadet
Hi all. I bought a second hand mariner engine and after sticking it on the boat I found it very hard to shift having removed the lower unit I found it changes gear no problem however when I disconnect the control cables and try to turn the upper gear selector shaft it takes a massive amount of force. Its only a guess but I think the upper selector shaft is bent my question is how do I remove it ? cant pull it down due to connection on top and cant see how I can push it up as the engine is in the way

Engine details
2000 Mariner 90HP 3 cylinder

Model number 90PTO
S/n 0p084533

Thank you

Mi duckdown

Commander
Try with no electric power to anything, Try shifting While moving/ turning the prop. will take two people.

Mi duckdown

Commander
Try with no electric power to anything, Try shifting to forward While moving/ turning the prop. will take two people.

gmcken5

Cadet
Hi duckdown, there is no problem with the lower unit shifting my guess is that the upper shift rod is bent in the leg. I am trying to find out how to remove it as it looks like the powerhead sits on top of the shift linkage

gmcken5

Cadet
So here is what I need to get out I have removed the carbs but as you can see the engine block holds it down
linkage.jpg

gmcken5

Cadet
Just a quick edit.. the top arrow is the engine sitting on the gear selector shaft . lower arrow is the selector

gmcken5

Cadet
Hi Faztbullet, Thank you for you reply. to do that is it just a case of removing the cowl and disconnecting the engine from the exhaust plate ?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If the shaft is bent the manual says that if you attempt to shift (force it) into reverse when the engine is off and the prop isn't turning you can easily damage the linkage.......aka bend the shaft. Probably that is the smoking gun. Guess PO didn't know that....maybe why it was up for sale. The proper way to shift into R with the engine off is to slowly move the shifter while someone rotates the prop allowing the cogs and slots to line up before you move the shifter all the way. Just a little light pressure on the shifter and when they get aligned the shifter will easily move to the full shift position. Problem doesn't exist in F gear. Only R. Different shifting setup in the LU gearing.

Mark