1960 mercury 400 super thunderbolt lower unit question

kylezin

Recruit
Hi new here and I just picked up a 1959 steelcraft with a 1960 400 superthunderbolt. motor was gone thru 2 years ago and sat. I drained out the lower unit and when I went to pump in new it was coming out the exhaust (lots) and the little weep hole never made it up to the top screw hole. Whats up does it need new seals? Big job? thanks for any input

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Access ports to the gear oil are: Shift shaft seal, drive shaft seal, prop shaft seal and drain/fill screw seals. What color was the gear oil you drained out? Was the engine running without a problem before it sat up?

You can remove the prop and check the prop shaft seal for leakage while filling. You have to drop the LU and remove the water pump housing to see the drive shaft seal and the shift seal is clearly visible, however leakage there would have to be really significant to be able to see fluid leakage in the short time it takes to fill the sump. I really doubt 2 years of sitting would cause that much seal deterioration.

Do you know that you attempted to add enough oil to fill the cavity? How much did you deliver?

Mark