1994 Mercury 25hp

cpdodge3500

Recruit
I keep telling myself there are no stupid questions but I feel kinda stupid.

I bought a 1994 Jon Boat with a 25 hp Mercury. I am almost certain the motor is a 1994 as well. The serial number is OD266971. This is the first boat I have ever owned.

I changed the oil in the foot. Checked the plugs. Drained the fuel that was in the filter. And bought a new gas tank and lines. Since I was not close to the lake or have a drum to put the motor in I figured I would give it a few pulls in the garage to see if it turned over. And if it did I was going to immediately shut it off. I cranked and cranked on the thing and could not get it to hit.

I know its an open ended question but any ideas on where to start trouble shooting? Like I said, I am just learning about boats but have pretty good mechanical skills.

rvaughn704

Cadet
First of all I would not recommend running it without water. I would at least get a set of muffs to attach to a garden hose. If not you will burn up the impeller.

Are you getting spark to the Plugs ?????

Did you pump up the primer bulb ????

cpdodge3500

Recruit
Pumped the primer bulb and it filled with fuel. I need to pull one of the plug wires and check to see if it is getting spark.

cpdodge3500

Recruit
Pumped the primer bulb and it filled with fuel. I need to pull one of the plug wires and check to see if it is getting spark.