50 ELPTO Issues

Baileyj

Recruit
Does anybody know roughly what the cost is to get a computer readout and or have my Mercury 59 ELPTO analyzed?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If this is a two stroke there is no computer to read anything from. If it's a four stroke call any local Merc dealer. You might get help right here if you told us what the problem is that is prompting you to wonder about the computer analysis.

Baileyj

Recruit
Got a 2010 ( that's when I bought the boat) 50 ELPTO, 2 stroke, Ser #18761365, Mod # 1050412FD. I had it out on the water yesterday, cranks fine and idles fine. When I throttled up I was cruising at around 4200 to 4500 rpms when the engine just powered down to about 3000 rpms, didn't die it just powered down. Backed off the throttle and put in neutral, then powered back up to above 4000rpms, it held for about 5 to 10 seconds then powered back down but didn't die. I ran a long ways up and down river at just under 4000 rpms and it ran fine, but whenever I tried to go faster it would back off like it was some kind of limp mode. Water pump is fine, spark plugs are fine, I'm thinking it is fuel related, Several times when I'd throttle back up to over 4000rpms it would kick in and out of trying to throttle up, like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I am going to change fuel filter and see if that helps. Any advice would be of great help. PS.. It has a manual fuel pump, and like I said, it never died. I posted this earlier but no replies, also noticed that when I squeezed the primer bulb, I could see the fuel going into the filter then when I let off the bulb it sucks back out, gonna change the bulb out too

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bulb shouldn't suck the fuel back out, sounds like it has a bad check valve. Hopefully changing it out fixes your other problem as well.

Baileyj

Recruit
I know its almost been a year, should have posted my finding's earlier, but better late than never and this could help someone else. Bulb check valve was bad, so I replaced it, problem still continued. The culprit was that gray marine grade fuel line, the inner clear sleeve had collapsed and was choking off the fuel supply, replaced with high quality fuel line(no inner sleeve) and problem solved.