Can I Tilt motor without power?

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
05' Mercury 150hp, DFI: My trim/Tilt is not operating (due to some wires cut from engine removal of marina) and I need to tilt it up to bring it to the marina mechanic. Can I manually do this without having to operate the motor? I'd like to but some wires are cut and not really sure how to get them (or which ones) back connected. Please help!

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
There is a pressure relief valve on the tilt unit.
You should be able to loosen it, raise the motor, and tighten it to hold it up.

BE SAFE ! That motor is heavy and will cut off toes or fingers if it comes down.
Make sure the motor is supported before releasing the pressure.

Should be part number 8 in the diagram in the link.

www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/10123_250.cfm

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
Hey, I appreciate that very much! I am not sure how to "jump start" the tilt... The harness is not fully connected; not sure what goes where.

Dukedog

Captain
You will have 2 wires coming from tha tnt motor. They should be marked blue and green unless tha marking went away when/if cut. Even so ya have a 50/50 chance on tha first time doin' this. If still "marked" you can jump tha blue to a battery positive and green to tha battery negative. If trim is good this will raise tha motor. If not marked that's when tha 50/50 comes inta play on tha first try. Also look tha motor over. You will be looking for 2 relays. Tha other end of tha trim motor wires may be here and still attached. If by chance they are all that's needed is to power up tha relay of choice. Blue (sky) wire "up", green (grass) wire "down". .........

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
Great. Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have guessed the green/blue. I usually expect red/black showing neg/pos usually... Thanks again

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, Doesn't that motor have a tilt switch mounted on the cowling? My '93 Merc V6 has one. If that is not working, jumper the PTT at the motor. It looks like that motor has relays. If that is the case, you will want to ground the green PTT Motor wire and apply +12VDC to the blue PTT motor wire for trim up.