Mercury 1350 Distributor Re-Wiring ?

OldPontooner

Cadet
I recently was given a older boat with a 1971 (I think) Merc 1350 motor on it. I am new to boat motor work and have a few questions.
I definitely need to rewire the wires going into the distributor as the old wires are bare. Do I need to pull the whole distributor out of the motor in order to get inside the distributor?
How do I check out the coil to see if it is putting power to the distributor?

Any and all help or answers would greatly appreciated.....PLEASE !!

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You will need to pull distributer to attemp this as potting compound will need to be dug out also the wires on the sensor are about the diameter of 6lb fishing line...I have destroyed a few to see what makes em tick.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Fazt, Can that repair be done by the average bear? I had expected you to recommend shrink tube over the old bare wires.

OldPontooner

Cadet
Thanks for the info Fazt. If I remove the potting compound (whatever that is) will I be able to replace the compound with new or what? Sounds kinda touchy to me with my OLD fat Cowboy hands. :joyous:

I was thinking along the same lines as Chris. I can't really see into the distributor where the wires enter, and I was wondering if shrink tube would go in far enough?
BTW, thanks Chris...

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy a used or rebuilt distributor? I have hunted all over the internet without any luck. Maybe I don't really what to hunt for or what they call it ! :doh:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The wire actually rots so shrink tube only holds it together. The resistance maybe higher (never checked but it should ohms law) but for the price of a new one its worth trying. Only distributers are new and used on fleecebay.

OldPontooner

Cadet
Thanks for the info Fazt. If I remove the potting compound (whatever that is) will I be able to replace the compound with new or what? Sounds kinda touchy to me with my OLD fat Cowboy hands. :joyous:

I was thinking along the same lines as Chris. I can't really see into the distributor where the wires enter, and I was wondering if shrink tube would go in far enough?
BTW, thanks Chris...

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy a used or rebuilt distributor? I have hunted all over the internet without any luck. Maybe I don't really what to hunt for or what they call it ! :doh:

Last edited:

OldPontooner

Cadet
Surly someone must know the answer to this question. I know one thing for sure, this "OLD" newbie doesn't :(

merc850

Commander
To do a permanent repair you should buy a new trigger assembly for the distributor - they are available from this site and come with instructions. I bought one 5 yrs. ago 'cause I didn't want to be stranded some day. (Do not try to pull the rotor off the shaft it's molded on.)

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I do not know if that distributor on ebay is the right one. Merc changed over from a conventional points/coil ignition to your CDI ignition, however, I do not know what year that occurred. I was hoping Fazt would answer that one.

OldPontooner

Cadet
To do a permanent repair you should buy a new trigger assembly for the distributor - they are available from this site and come with instructions. I bought one 5 yrs. ago 'cause I didn't want to be stranded some day. (Do not try to pull the rotor off the shaft it's molded on.)

Thanks for all of the help guys .I think that will be the way I need to go Merc, can you please tell me which one I should purchase?