Mercury 1150 Remote Control and Harness

cooldaddee

Recruit
Hi all. Love this site!

I am a newbie to boating, and I just picked up a 1976 Rinkerbuilt 15' open bow Tri-Hull with a 1972 Mercury 1150. It needs some work, but that's what winters are for. I have a MerControl remote unit in it now, but it is missing the ignition and tach out, and it pretty much bypasses the harness altogether. Only thing I see that works is the throttle and warm-up cables. I want to replace this unit with one that has the electric choke, ignition, harness, etc. I found some on eBay, but the harnesses have different plugs (6 & 7 pin male) than what my engine takes (6 pin female). Would I be able to cut the harness plugs off of one of these MerControl units and solder it to the plug I have on my engine? I have found a few wiring diagrams which should help matching the wires up (I think), though I cannot match the plugs entirely with the diagrams.

Any help you can give me would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Maybe you could even tell me which make/model control unit was originally used with these engines, and I could find an original out there someplace, and not have to do any splicing/soldering!????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The extra wires on the newer motors are for overheat sensor and power trim/tilt. You need the battery wire (red), Ign power (white), Choke (grey), Tach signal (Brown), Starter solenoid (yellow), and ground (black). You will be able to graft most any harness, however, the wire colors changed a bit, after your motor was made. The new wire colors are battery (red), Ign Power (purple), choke (yellow/black), Tach Signal (Grey), starter solenoid (yellow/red), Ground (black).