Trim/Tilt problem

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Hi all I have a 98 or so Mercury 75hp.
The trim motors shot.
It failed in the upright position.
I can't get it to go down.
I removed the plastic screw on the stbd. side thinking the motor would lower.
The electric motor is off and it wouldn't work anyway.
Any thing I'm doing wrong?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
How do you know it's shot? 98 or so should mean that the up and down relays are side by side under the cowl to the rear of the oil tank. Blue wires for up and green wires for down. Swap relays and see what happens. If the problem follows the relay get another. Otherwise there is a bleed screw on the motor reservoir unit that you can backoff to release the pressure. It's the other conspicuous screw besides the fill screw. I gave my manual away with my boat and have it no longer so I don't have the location and tweak info handy. Ping Steelspike. He'll know.

Mark

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the reply.
The electric motor part is burned up and all the contacts and everything is melted and the cables shorted and cracked.
I have the motor in the up postion.I can't get it to drop.
I tried to turn the motor but it does nothing.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Did you find the pressure bleed off screw? If so and if it didn't work, a thought:

Find something to jack up the engine via the front of the lower unit gear housing attempting to put a little more up pressure on the engine than is currently applied via the trim motor. I can think of a small floor jack sitting on a pile of cinder blocks as one method with a block of wood to reduce opportunity for any damage and reduce opportunity for slipping out of position.

With the pressure off (hopefully) you should be able to drive out the pins that it connects to. I think I have read that to get the thing out you need to remove the starboard clamp bracket. So that means the steering cable comes out and surely the engine will be somewhat unstable. If you have or can rent a engine hoist like used when pulling an engine out of a car and make/buy/rent/borrow an adaptor that screws into the top of the flywheel (I made mine), at least you will have a hold on the engine if it should attempt to get away from you and fall over while attempting to retrieve the trim motor.

HTH,
Mark

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

This is what It looked like when I opened it.
I've tried the lifting and the pushing down.
I've got the stbd side loose and am going to get to the rest after the sun passes and I'm not right in the direct path.
I've got the fitting that goes in the top of the flywheel for lifting but can't get the cover off as it's on a pontoon boat and the shroud around the motor well, aint gonna let me have access.
I work on outboards but don't usually mess with the trim systems.
I was doing some minor repairs, T/U, impeller, oil change, lights, etc. when the motor went.

sam am I

Commander

Ahhhhhhhh, nothing a little shoe polish can't take out................:faint2: