Mercury 5hp 4 stroke quits

utah1

Cadet
I have a 2001 Merc 5hp 4 stroke outboard. I bought it a few weeks ago from a fellow who said it was used the first 2 years after it was new, then stored in garage ever since. I changed oil, took carb off and cleaned it, then put back together. It fired right up and ran perfect for 10 minutes then quit. I could not get it to start again until I sprayed carb cleaner in intake, which led to it starting right up and ran for 5 minutes, then again quit. Everytime I try to restart, the primer bulb seems to need a lot of primes to fill carb with fuel. Could this be a sign of fuel pump? Is there a way to test this?

Thank you in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds more like the float's sticking or somethings blocking the flow.
Does the squeezie get firm? or just kinda stays firm?
Not staying firm could be a hole in the diaphragm.
Or the squeezie is bad. I've seen them bad right out of the box.

utah1

Cadet
When I pump it initially, it gets firm. After running for 3-5 minutes, its no firm and takes a few pumps where you can see the fuel filter filling back up. Almost like when it runs (perfect), its using up all the fuel ive primed into it, then quits when that's all gone.

G

Are you opening the vent in your gas tank after starting outboard?

utah1

Cadet
Vent has been open, I will try pumping while running and see what happens

utah1

Cadet
Tried yesterday while fishing to pump the ball. (this is a kicker motor so on boat anyways). It kept running while pumping, If I pumped to much, its would start to stall and backfire.