83 mariner 15hp head leak

filthy

Cadet
So I have a 83 15horse mariner that leaks from the side of the head, ive pulled the head off and found that the block has corroded away near the thermostat housing to the point it no longer seals with the gasket, my question is does any one know what the block is made out of and can it be welded to repair, Thanks in advance guys,

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Is this a water leak or pressure from inside the cylinder? The block is aluminum and it can be welded by a pro, but it is expensive. If it is water, waterweld will fix this for a couple of years. I think they also make a high temp version of this. Waterweld works very well but surfaces have to be clean, it sets in 30 minutes.

filthy

Cadet
Thanks guys, is def a water leak but believe it is also not helped by some pressure in the cylinders as well due to the excess corrosion in both the block and the head, this motor has given me nothing but greif since I got it so I was hoping to have a last ditch effort at fixing it cheap so I think I will try one of those products and see how it goes,