'93 150 Black Max - Overheat Temp Sensor and Temp Gage Sending Unit

Meatline

Cadet
Finished changing out the water pump at night so I didn't get a chance to fire up the motor and check if everything tested SAT (didn't want to wake the neighborhood up). Decided to fish the next morning... Fired the motor up and immediately had a continuous tone beep. This tells me I have either a faulty OTS or TGSU (?)

My motor has the optional TGSU (per SELOC), and according to my parts guy, is no longer available - huh? Gulp- I only have 248-hours on this beauty!

I am going to replace the OTS, but where can I get a TGSU? Or is there way to bypass?

Thanks!

sam am I

Commander
but where can I get a TGSU?

Merc part number is 13536A7

Searched here, says "Sorry, we couldn't find anything that matched your search." on this merc stock number :noidea:, but did over here ......

http://www.XXXXX/parts/detail/merc/M-13536A 7.html

where XXXXX = boats . net

This is the two wire temp sensor typically/factory installed on port side for the gauge . BTW, replace your "parts guy" while your at it!!

Last edited:

Meatline

Cadet
I have no issues finding the OTS (part #13536A7), but I am trying to find part # 18753-1 (I believe) (Temp Guage Sending Unit)

Meatline

Cadet
Yep, obsolete part, but I did find one- finally!

However, before I order... Which part is sounding my alarm? Is it the OTS or the TGSU?

Meatline

Cadet
Well, I opted to replace both port and stbd, but I still have the continuous beep. Could I have missed something when I replaced the water pump?

sam am I

Commander
Does the continuous beep sound immediately when key is first turned on and engine is stone cold?

sam am I

Commander
K,

Two devices share (are OR'd) a common connection(it's just the negative power side of the DC beeper actually) on the terminal block (14) and either device can turn on the beeper by sending/issuing a ground signal(an active low).

1: The warning module(3), it can turn the beeper on for several reason, continuous with a solid low(low oil in reservoir sensor) or beep w an intermittent low(oil pump rotation sensor) or the infamous merc power up "I'm alive, functional and things(*so far) feel goooood alll over" triple beep when the module is first powered.

OR

2: The "water temp switch" (**15), when over heated, it sends a solid low as it is just a switch to ground when above somewhere's around 235'ish F(I'm not looking it up right now, but there is a spec)

So .....assuming the replacement water temp switch is good, and w a solid beep when stone cold

1: Your reserve oil tank(the tank one under the cowl) sensor(4) has activated due to low oil or went bad due to bad float and your warning module has then been told to issued a solid low causing the continuous beep(unplugging the oil float bullet connector at the input of the module will shut it off if the oil float sensor is the source)

or

2: The module output has shorted to ground[disconnecting the output wire (tan/blue)of the module that leads also to the(shared) over temp sensor connection at the terminal block will shut it off if the module is the cause]

or

3: You have a short somewhere to ground(a third unwanted active low..) on the shared line causing the continuous beep .........Ohm meter time.

*The module at first power up w/o the motor running comes online(triple beep) and is in standby, It won't send out an alarm low unless/until it first receives the "motor is running" signal from the CDI box(see grn wire leading to module)..If I recall right, for both inputs or was it just the pump rotation, I forgot, its been about a year since i messed w it!.....Never committed to memory or I'm simply just getting old...hmmmm,

**The schematic below has the wire color listed as "black" leading from the water temp switch(15)......This is a mistake, the wire color of the water temp switch is tan/blue.

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
Sam, any alarm going through tha module ie: low oil, rotation, water/fuel (efi only) will be oscillating (that's what tha module does) unless tha module itself is bad. Tha only constant beep with "everything" workin' as it should will be overheat......One way to check is disconnect ot sensor at tha small term block leaving tha module wire intact.......If you get alarm disconnect module. Still get alarm its in tha harness.

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Duke,

Nooooo!!, The low oil in tank sensor doesn't "oscillate", it is solid beep Duke....I wonder if they differ from year to year perhaps?

Edit.......Duke is correct OP, low oil or bad a low oil sensor would cause a rapid on and off beep, so scratch that in the above. Don;t know where I got that idea, oh well, I lost my flipping sun glasses between yesterday and today so this all makes sense now.....age!!

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
Sorry. You are wrong......All signals going thru tha module which includes low oil go beep beep beep. If not ya got a problem............ Better "hit tha books"..

I see ya did!

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
Why?

Hehehe, Just kidding Duke, thx for check'n in on me.

I swear when I had the damn box on the bench powered up messing around with it simulating/hooked to each sensor signals and getting it to go off, I thought it went on solid when I shorted the oil input.......

Ohhhhhhh, bet it uses the CDI input as a clock input to its dead sensor oscillator and I wasn't clocking it at that time............Ah HA!!!

Hmmmm, I better test this theory and commit it to memory!! errrr wait, nevermind!:facepalm:

Last edited:

Meatline

Cadet
OK... must have a short somewhere in the harness. SELOC wan't a lot of help... Did as recommended above and I am befuddled. My mobile tech is headed out this evening.

I am grateful this forum is available for us that want to learn and hopefully master our own repairs. Thank you to all! Keep you posted on the progress.