Mercury 75 grease coming out with water around prop & hole, is it supposed to?

fishermike19

Recruit
My Mercury 75 has grease coming out with water around the prop and a small hole, is it supposed to? I never noticed this small hole before, is water supposed to come out there? See attached photo

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, Photo didn't work. I am not sure what you mean when you say grease. If the motor is 2 cycle, it is normal for some 2 cycle oil to exit from the prop. Gear oil should not exit anywhere. Smell the "grease". If it stinks like rotten eggs it is gear oil, and you have a gearcase leak. If it smells like gasoline or oil, it is likely normal. If it is drops of heavy grease like chassis grease, it is not an issue, as that is used on external pivot points or perhaps to effect an engine rebuild.

fishermike19

Recruit
OK, Photo didn't work. I am not sure what you mean when you say grease. If the motor is 2 cycle, it is normal for some 2 cycle oil to exit from the prop. Gear oil should not exit anywhere. Smell the "grease". If it stinks like rotten eggs it is gear oil, and you have a gearcase leak. If it smells like gasoline or oil, it is likely normal. If it is drops of heavy grease like chassis grease, it is not an issue, as that is used on external pivot points or perhaps to effect an engine rebuild.

Where you not able to see the photo? Did it not come thru? Anyway I think it is grease so I must have a leak some where. What about that small hole, is water supposed to come out there? thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Some gearcases have small weep holes for trapped water to exit. Gear oil should not exit anywhere.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Some gearcases have small weep holes for trapped water to exit. Gear oil should not exit anywhere.