Propeller info question

soulbmx

Cadet
Hi. I have a 1989 60 Hp. Mercury outboard.

On my propeller is reads "48 T3136 A40L 13P"
I was wondering what these numbers mean? I'm not sure what ones are size and so on.

I know it's a 10" diameter prop and is a left prop.

Thats all. I am looking to go a tad bigger if possible or looking to get a little more power out of the prop.

Motor SN is B396168

Thanks in advance.!

I am not sure of the numbers but I do know a larger prop will give you more torque and less power. If you want more power you need a smaller prop with a stepper pitch. With 60 hp to play with the choice of prop will make a difference. I would of thought mercury would publish the props for the current models. This should be a place to start looking, to make your choice. The laws of physics do not change.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I just went to the top of this page and selected Mercury Propellers. Then plugged in your engine and a list of props came up. None were left hand rotation. To know the difference look at the 4 pictures of props above. All are the standard right hand rotation. If your blades have the tips to the left of the hub like these looking from the rear, it's right hand and the L in the number means something else.

When you say more power what do you mean? 60 hp is 60 hp, no more. If you are on a light fast hull, a higher pitched prop is in order. If you are pushing a toon for instance a low pitch is necessary. The engine needs to run up in it's power band at WOT to function properly and the pitch of the prop has to be selected to allow it to do that. I have a sales brochure on a later year-model 60 2 stroke and it show 5500 as the upper limit and that is about where you should be running at WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

If your current rpms are below that then select a shallower pitch like an 11P. If above that then more pitch like a 15P. The diameter is a general number and once you select the engine size, it puts you into a general range of pitches which move about as the different pitches are listed. About 200 rpm change up or down per inch of pitch change down or up.

Get your WOT rpm and the direction of the blades as I mentioned and come back.

Mark

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
The best analogy is to think of your propeller as the diff ratio in your car. If the diff ratio (pitch) If the ratio is too high than youll have trouble getting off the line or even hold top gear at highway speed. If you increase the pitch but dont have the power available to keep the engine in the correct WOT rpm, then the engine will be inefficient and labour and you'll lose fuel economy. It looks like the prop is a 13inch pitch prop?

soulbmx

Cadet
Turns out it is a right hand prop. I read bad info before.

I think I'll just stick with it and look for a tachometer to find out my rpm's. Then maybe later on get a stainless prop and see how it goes.

I'm happy with it though!