115 mercury tower of power carb problem

justin27

Cadet
I recently had carb work done and now when u take off full throttle it just dies unless u pump the throttle a few times then put it wide open the mixture screws are out about 2 turns could it be too lean it runs perfect after u get it took off and isles good someone please help wat is going on with it

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, sounds like the mechanic set the idle mixture too lean. Open the top carb first, 1/8 of a turn and retest. Repeat acceleration test after opening mid carb 1/8 turn. Open bottom carb 1/8 turn and test acceleration. Repeat sequence as described until acceleration is crisp, and idle is acceptable.

justin27

Cadet
I have tried adjusting on it and seems to get worse would it hurt it to run like it is the screws are,out about 2 turns

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, Reset them to 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated and re-adjust. First adjust for fastest idle, in neutral. Then adjust as I described, in gear. It can be tricky to get them synched.

justin27

Cadet
will a boat shop have a took to set them would I b better off taking it to someone professional

joshgar8

Seaman
I'm having the same exact problems and have been fighting it all summer. I wish I had a answer for you. The last time I had mine out it developed a mild rattle on acceleration. Who knows what that is..... I am trying to find a shop to take mine to aswell, hopefully it's not to late!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you cannot set them yourself, you probably need a mechanic to set them properly. It is not overly hard, but it is tricky the first time or two.