2007 Mercury 90HP 2 stroke voltage mystery

jeffh2345

Recruit
I've got something really strange happening, and have no idea what to do. Here's everything that I know. The tach most of the time reads what I believe is about 3 times what I "hear" the rpm to be. Occasionally it reads right. Other times, it jumps from pegged high to normal rpm. The volts at the battery read 14, and at the fishfinder, 12.5 when the engine is off. After running a while, it seems to stay steady at about 10. The battery is a new battery. The motor runs fine when you start it, then disconnect from the battery. When I run the engine, it doesn't matter if it's running 900rpm or 2500 rpm, the voltage jumps ALL around...18, 12, 0. And when I say it jumps, it's like 6 different readings every second. Now, I'm a good mechanical guy, but lack a little when it comes to the understanding of the electrical part. I know in a vehicle, the alternator should put out a steady voltage (14-ish?). I've checked all the connections under the cowling and all appears good. Engine runs fine, albeit at idle a little "jumpy" but it's always done that. Any ideas? Regulator? Rectifier? Stator? Out of those three, all I know for sure is the stator produces the electricity. Help!

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure how your setup is for that year model but yes, if you have a stator, it puts out the voltage (ac). The rectifier turns that into dc. The regulator does just that...regulates the voltage down to around 14. Have you put a volt meter on it to verify the voltage is what your gauge is showing? I would check it at crank battery and at rectifier (has 3 wires, 2 come from stator as input and 1 goes out for output. I think the way the regulator works is it "shunts" the power to ground to maintain the proper voltage.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The tach signal comes from the rectifier/regulator module. If faulty you can get irregular tach readings.

The regulator output is 14-14.5 volts at 1000 rpm or above per the manual. If up at 16 the regulator is not regulating. The service manual says not to disconnect the battery with the engine running as damage to the module may result.

Modern high impedance front end, digital voltmeters are susceptible to voltage spikes caused by the high voltage pulses fed to the spark plugs that radiate out and can be picked up easily. Relocate your measuring instrument to the battery terminals for an accurate reading..

Mark