1977 Mercury 110 Shifting/Water pump problems.

aackstein

Cadet
Yesterday I had the boat and motor out trolling around when I looked back at the outboard and noticed that there was no pee stream coming from the motor. I shut the motor down, checked the debris screen and found nothing. The motor didn't overheat(I think) lucky as I'm quite diligent when it comes to checking on the pee steam.

I waited a bit to let the motor completely cool down then tried starting it again. When I was pulling the motor over it would sometimes jam mid pull, forcing me to let the cable all the way back in and try again. I eventually got the motor fired up after a couple of pulls and found that I have a good solid pee steam again..
I then tried shifting the motor into forwards and nothing happened, yet the motor would still rev. I put the motor into reverse and the boat started moving forwards! I did also notice that while I was trying to monkey around with the shift lever that the pee stream became intermittent and then stopped completely. Not really sure where to start here. At first I thought it was going to be a simple impeller replacement but it seems like the problem has progressed.

Pervious to this issue, I had put on maybe 15 hours on this motor with no issues at all. I was told by the previous owner that the water pump impeller was done before it went into storage for a couple of years.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Andrew