99 mercury 250 wont rpm over 2000

cjrama

Cadet
i was going across Block Island sound. i have two oil reservoirs.the res in the bilge feeds a smaller one on the motor..... the one on the motor had emptied and the bilge one that was supposed to feed it still had oil..... motor stalls....it then started back up.... i filled both reservoirs with oil. it would only rpm up about half way for awhile.... then it ran fine.... we headed closer to home and ran easily and well for about 15 miles.... stopped to fish for an hour... when we tried to reset our drift it would not rpm over 2000 or go over 5mph..... any thoughts?

enginepower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, running out of oil in your engine reservoir didn't sound an alarm? If the engine stalled, that's not good at all. That means the pistons got so hot and expanded in the cylinder that they started to drag and probably caused wear. You need to do a compression test. Your engine may be ruined from this failure. Let us know compression test results for all your cylinders.

Dukedog

Captain
your motor is an "electronic" controlled which leaves me in tha truck on guessin' ona computer! could be fuel delivery related also. needs ta be "plugged in"....sorry can't be more help.....

cjrama

Cadet
90 lbs of compression across each cylinder..... even compression gives me a glimmer of hope. it idles up nice in neutral, just wont idle up under a load in gear, in the water

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Do a cylinder drop test one at a time to see which cylinders at working, it could be a reed/s...